News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SMOKE UNITS REVISITED

Started by 671, February 13, 2011, 10:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:) In my earlier posting, SMOKE UNITS, I tried to solve a problem with my Semi-Scale 2056 Hudson. The Loco came with a non - working smoke generator. I asked if there was an after market smoker available that really smoked ( Fan Driven ) that would fit the space within this Loco. I have a Berkshire Great Nortern that smokes OK. Drawbacks are that it spits and smokes. The smoking time is short, due to the small barrel size of the unit, plus it "spits" out some of the fluid.
    I purchase # 5 Seuthe 6 volt smoke generator. The voltage limiting circuit to the original smoke generator would produce a maximum voltage at 7.9 volts. I felt that this voltage would shorten the life span of the unit. I installed in series on the plus side ( D.C. ) voltage from the voltage limiting circuit two diodes in series with the new smoke generator. This reduced the maximum voltage to 6.5 volts.
    Removing the orignal smoke generator plus the plastic stack adaptor allowed enough diameter to easily install the #5 in its' place. The smoke unit's top sits lower than the original smoke stack but this could easily be raised by adding a layer of heat shrink tubing to the ouside of the smoke tube. ( Tapered Tube )
   The performance of the #5 smoker is excellent. Appox 1 minute of smoke per drop of smoke fluid. The larger barrel size allows more fluid per fill plus the spitting and sputter of the smaller original smoker is now non-existant. 15-20 smoke time well within reach.
   This is an easy retro-fit that works well. I NOW HAVE SMOKE!!!
                           I hope this of some help to all,

DominicMazoch

It is easier to use a needle type dropper to put smoke fluid in a steamer.  You can get it where it is needed, and the needle can break up smoke bubbles!

A quick note:  Close examination of my Berkshire and my Semi-Scale revealed that they both have identical boiler shells. This retrofit should work equally well for both locos.
       I raised the height of the smoke stack by pulling the stack upward from the boiler shell. I then added a very small piece of shrink tube to the side between the stack and the boiler shell. pushing the stack back down into the shell resulted in the proper height. I then cut off the remaining tab flush to the boiler shell top. It looks great and is still working super.

Hope you can use this tip...671

Simbo1

Can you tell me where you found the Seuth smoke unit?  I don't really want to order from the UK.  Is there a USA dealer?

Hi Simbo1,
               Go on line for Trainland or Trainworld, they are both the same owners but different locations here in New York. They do a mail order business. One is in Brooklyn the other in Lynbrook. The smoke unit cost me $26.99 US
               I used the Seuthe #5 ...6volt unit. It is working fine. I also use LGB smoke fluid. It seems not to sputter like the Bachman oil, and give a Little more smoke.
               Remember to install two diodes in series two reduce the voltage to the smoker. This brought my voltage down to a maximum of 6.5 volts at higher throttle settings.
                Hope this helps, anyother questions, feel free to ask.....671

joycee

wanted to put a smoke unit in non powered RDC car O scale tapping into the current for the lights.  In looking at one of the williams steamers looks like there is a seperate electrnics board that plugs into the smoke stack.  Is it possible to just use that electronics board and stack from the track power, to create an rdc car that smokes, and will not cause any problems with the powered unit. 

Ron Sims

There is a better way to go when replacing the smoke units. Modern Toy Train Parts sells a kit that has a Lionel smoke unit specially modified for use with Williams engines. It costs $35.00 and comes with a switch to turn it off if you like. It is fan driven and smokes without chuffs. I just installed it in my Williams 671 turbine. You replace the head lamp with a LED. You can reach Bill at 567-424-6604

Ron