STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 12:11:48 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  A question for the Bachmann.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: A question for the Bachmann.  (Read 11869 times)
TobyTheTram16

Sheffield Steamer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »

youi gus are doing it again  Angry
BillingsRR
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »

What? Having a normal conversation on hobby shops? Hobby shops that sell the products you are asking about.
Michigan Railfan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »

Just looked in my history textbook. Turns out the first American steam locomotive was designed and built by Peter Cooper in 1830, called the "Tom Thumb."

And back on topic, you might want to try modeltrainstuff.com. They have the lowest prices I've seen online.
BillingsRR
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:35 AM »

Tom Thumb! I knew it was something that started as Tom Th! I thought it was Tom Thon. Tongue Close enough!
7029cluncastle

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »

ALSO DO U AGREE WITH WHAT I SED ABOUT WITH OUT THE BRITTISH THE USA  MIGHT NEVER OF HAD STEAM TRAINS & THOMAS Smiley

It is to my understanding that the Americans invented the steam locomotive. The first steam engine in the world ran on the B&O line. I think I learned that at Steamtown, the B&O Museum, and many other places. But that may jsut be the first in the US, not the entire world.

I'm afraid that's only in the USA. The first full scale working railway steam locomotive was built by Richard Trevithick in the United Kingdom and, on 21 February 1804, the world's first railway journey took place as Trevithick's unnamed steam locomotive hauled a train along the tramway of the Penydarren ironworks, near Merthyr Tydfil in south Wales.

So yes, despite being British in it's initial design, I'd say ther was worldwide influences on the final designs of steam locomotives. Just look at the Union Pacific's Big Boy class, and you can see how advanced it was compared to British designs of the same vintage.

Jack

i was born 190 years and 2 days after that first run  Grin
sorry just had to say it!!  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:51:15 PM by 7029cluncastle » Logged

"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: