News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A question for the Bachmann.

Started by TobyTheTram16, February 13, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobyTheTram16

BillingsRR

What? Having a normal conversation on hobby shops? Hobby shops that sell the products you are asking about.

Michigan Railfan

Just looked in my history textbook. Turns out the first American steam locomotive was designed and built by Peter Cooper in 1830, called the "Tom Thumb."

And back on topic, you might want to try modeltrainstuff.com. They have the lowest prices I've seen online.

BillingsRR

Tom Thumb! I knew it was something that started as Tom Th! I thought it was Tom Thon. :P Close enough!

7029cluncastle

Quote from: Churchill8F on February 15, 2011, 07:47:46 PM
Quote from: BillingsRR on February 15, 2011, 07:08:47 PM
Quote from: SCOTTISH RAILWAYS on February 15, 2011, 09:56:10 AM
ALSO DO U AGREE WITH WHAT I SED ABOUT WITH OUT THE BRITTISH THE USA  MIGHT NEVER OF HAD STEAM TRAINS & THOMAS :)

It is to my understanding that the Americans invented the steam locomotive. The first steam engine in the world ran on the B&O line. I think I learned that at Steamtown, the B&O Museum, and many other places. But that may jsut be the first in the US, not the entire world.

I'm afraid that's only in the USA. The first full scale working railway steam locomotive was built by Richard Trevithick in the United Kingdom and, on 21 February 1804, the world's first railway journey took place as Trevithick's unnamed steam locomotive hauled a train along the tramway of the Penydarren ironworks, near Merthyr Tydfil in south Wales.

So yes, despite being British in it's initial design, I'd say ther was worldwide influences on the final designs of steam locomotives. Just look at the Union Pacific's Big Boy class, and you can see how advanced it was compared to British designs of the same vintage.

Jack

i was born 190 years and 2 days after that first run  ;D
sorry just had to say it!!  :P
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."