News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my project exibition layout

Started by 7029cluncastle, February 16, 2011, 12:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7029cluncastle

i am planning on making an exibition layout based on parts key parts of the island of sodor. it will be mainly bachmann thomas items aswell as a couple of from hornby. the areas from sodor are knapford station, gordons hill and henry's tunnel. the line through these places will be double track and will go into a fiddle yard at the back. any trains like gordon's express will leave the fiddle yard go through knapford and up the hill, being banked by either toby or edward. the stock will be all the bachmann locos and rolling stock, hornby's murdoch, dart, stepney, oliver and some of the rolling stock (old slowcoach etc) also i plan to get some more annie and clarabel's to create rakes of red branchline coaches.
what do you guys think? :)
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

Bluecoatscheesypoofs

Cool dude. If you are planning for all of those destinations to be on one layout,   you will need a pretty big layout. Probably around 5x10'. If you wish to see how i made my red branch line coaches, go onto my youtube channel. My account is Bluecoatscheesypoofs. Good luck dude.

7029cluncastle

Quote from: Bluecoatscheesypoofs on February 16, 2011, 03:01:33 PM
Cool dude. If you are planning for all of those destinations to be on one layout,   you will need a pretty big layout. Probably around 5x10'. If you wish to see how i made my red branch line coaches, go onto my youtube channel. My account is Bluecoatscheesypoofs. Good luck dude.
i doubt i will need to have it that big! maybe knapford station will be on a large section and gordons hill/henrys tunnel on maybe 1 foot or 2 foot sections.
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

BillingsRR

If you have a room that you can use(like a spare bedroom or garage), you can build the layout along the wall. And where there is a door, have a loop sending the trains back. That us how you can accomplish a double loop or you could still do double lines(a total of 4 across). I have seen many people do this and some even have the trains go through walls(they cut slits in the wall for the trains) and then have them going all over their home. It is truly amazing what people can accomplish with HO trains and their homes.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: 7029cluncastle on February 16, 2011, 03:26:25 PM
Quote from: Bluecoatscheesypoofs on February 16, 2011, 03:01:33 PM
i doubt i will need to have it that big! maybe knapford station will be on a large section and gordons hill/henrys tunnel on maybe 1 foot or 2 foot sections.

Go ahead, but be careful, inclines should be approximatly 1 inch per THREE FEET!! You can go 2 per three feet but anything more is not going to be smart.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

7029cluncastle

it isnt going to be a huge increase, just a little increase just to put a slight strain on the engines.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: 7029cluncastle on February 16, 2011, 03:59:50 PM
it isnt going to be a huge increase, just a little increase just to put a slight strain on the engines.

So what ratio? 3 inches per 3 feet? (that would cut it)

7029cluncastle

Quote from: SodorAdventures on February 16, 2011, 04:02:29 PM
Quote from: 7029cluncastle on February 16, 2011, 03:59:50 PM

So what ratio? 3 inches per 3 feet? (that would cut it)
i dont know yet, the layout is only in the early planning stages....

Mulfred

well I'm in the early stages of my layout too. I've just gotten the dimentions of my baord. its 11ft by 6ft. with a extra 1.5ft x 3ft on either side for the sheds and knapford. Also I have another 2ft x 2ft which I wanna use for the docks  ;D its going to be a busy summer lol  :P 8) ;D :D ;D

TheJJ

I had a plan for the docks too.(I'm also in early planning) But I was thinking of having my docks connect into the beach (Coastal Route). Or Duck's branchline. Even though THERE IS NO DUCK, sorry about that but similar to that with a station.

7029cluncastle

right here are some photos of my stock

emily shines in the light on her first run

here she is doing some shunting.

here she rests on shed.

bill and ben, as cheeky as ever!

the twins shunt a range of rolling stock

the twins power into platform 2 passing tornado.
thats it guys :) kenny

SodorAdventures

AWESOMENESS!!!  Cant wait for more pictures!

7029cluncastle

thanks, i will get more of this trio in action later this week.
heres the comparison photos of the hornby ben and bachmann ben.

kenny

J70

Wow, the Hornby ones really tower over the Bachmann ones. Shame the Hornby ones weren't closer to scale. Nice layout so far, saw it over on New Railway Modellers.

I'm documenting my own layout on my site, and others are too, so feel free to share it there.

http://sodormodelling.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Jack

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: Churchill8F on February 20, 2011, 10:32:15 PM
Wow, the Hornby ones really tower over the Bachmann ones. Shame the Hornby ones weren't closer to scale. Nice layout so far, saw it over on New Railway Modellers.

I'm documenting my own layout on my site, and others are too, so feel free to share it there.

http://sodormodelling.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Jack
off topic just wondering why did you close your old account churchill8f