Large scale Henry ~ Hogwarts Express?

Started by Mark Oles, August 19, 2011, 02:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

Hey all you Thomas fans,

If Bachmann made a Large Scale Henry,  how close is his prototype locomotive to the 'crimson' locomotive that pulled the Hogwarts express in the Harry Potter movie series?  Other than the fact that they are both 4-6-0s (or 2-3-0s for you Continentals out there), is there any other similarity?

Cheeky_ULP

No other similarities. Henry is a Stanier Black 5, while the Hogwarts engine is a Great Western Hall.

BillingsRR

The only simularity I can think of is that they are both "magical", as Henry talks and the other is for wizards.

I would like to see both though :D

J70

If you're going by proper terms and a realistic approach, the model Bachmann would make, the post rebuild (black five) Henry, the designer was no other than William Stanier, who was an apprentice at Swindon. Because of this, he took many features of the Great Western Railway and implemented them into the London Midland & Scottish railway during his time as Chief Mechanical Engineer. His locomotives were very alike to GWR ones, such as the Hogwarts Loco, in many ways.

In regards to converting a Henry, it would be hard work but in no way impossible. The only new parts you would need to make would be the boiler, cab and tender for a basic lookalike. The running plate and chassis could remain as is or slightly modified, just painted black to match the Hogwarts Express. You have to remember that Henry would look like a toy, so a fair bit of work would be required in order to rebuild him to a more prototypical level.

Jack

PasqualeCS96

Didnt Bachmann make a hogwarts express set like years ago?

shining time

yeah i was 5-6 when i got it but they where christmas clearence item and the coupling broke so my parent returned them they were at toys r us
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

BillingsRR

Bachmann never made a G scale Hogwarts Express, thet made an HO Hogwarts Express though.

Lionel currently makes a battery operated Hogwarts set, but I do not own it and have not heard anything about it.

TobyTheTram16

Mark Oles

Interesting.  Thanks, guys.  I was thinking about possible cross marketing potential.