News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder for thomas

Started by justafew, December 01, 2011, 03:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justafew

New to your forum, what bachmann decoder is needed for thomas the tank engine.

Artieiii

I'm not really a fan of Bachmann decoders.  I have a few models with DCC onboard and they ran unreliably with their Bachmann factory decoders.  I wanted sound anyway so I put in Digitrax SDH164D sound decoders.  

To answer your question though, any hard wired decoder that fits in thomas will do.  I installed an N scale Digitrax sound decoder in my HO Thomas (SDN144PS).  It has an itty bitty speaker but it fit nicely inside Thomas's tender area.  I drilled a few holes on the back of his tender box so the sound could come out.  It's not really loud but I was able to make custom sounds using my PR3 programmer.  I got the sound clips off Youtube from Thomas episodes.  He makes his trademark toot toot for the horn, he says "bust my buffers" and "I'm a really useful engine" and has the other traditional 0-6-0 steam engine sounds.
-Art

Here is the thread about my conversion:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18602.0.html

justafew

Thank you  Art.
    Kendall,

Artieiii

Kendall,
This was a very simple conversion, one of the easiest I have done.  It's a great little project and any Thomas fan will really appreciate it for the holidays  If you don't have a PR3 programmer you can mail the decoder to me and I'll load the thomas sounds on it for you at no charge.  Just follow the steps laid out in the other thread.  The steps are exactly the same with a non sound decoder just 4 wires to solder and you're all set!!!
-Art

uncbob

I assume that decoder will run with an NCE system which I have

Anthony P2

i use the digitrax DH123 decoders. speaking of which i recently ordered some and they should be here possible tomorrow

Anthony P2

sorry for the double post.

has anyone successfully installed a decoder in Toby? i seem to be having trouble with mine.  :-[

CSX_jdv

I use a Digitrax DH123 in my Toby. No problems after I replaced the first DH123 which was defective.

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 13, 2012, 11:33:20 AM
sorry for the double post.

has anyone successfully installed a decoder in Toby? i seem to be having trouble with mine.  :-[
Thomas, Percy, Toby, Mavis, Diesel (all converted to DCC).

Anthony P2

i have a very odd situation. every time i want to convert him to DCC he doesn't work. I used the same decoder, that i tried  to use for Toby, for Mavis and she works perfectly. i thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number? o and by the way, did any one have any difficulties with the engines with capacitors in them? ex Diesel, Salty. Bill/Ben etc. would i have to remove the capacitors?

CSX_jdv

Get rid of the EM (Electro Magnetic) noise suppression capacitors and coils (sometimes mounted on a board).

They act like a dead short to the DCC signals on the rails in DCC layouts.

I remove the components when they are mounted discretely (capacitors are soldered to the motor in Diesel) or the EM suppression boards in I found in Thomas, Percy, and Mavis.

The DCC decoder will take care of any EM noise generated by the motor.
Thomas, Percy, Toby, Mavis, Diesel (all converted to DCC).