News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

46605A Controller question

Started by Mirage88, February 20, 2011, 05:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirage88

Hi, can anybody please advise how to remove the speed knob from the 46605A controller?

Thanks... Don (Australia) 

Joe Satnik

Dear Don,

Note to others, this is the control head to the most recent HO/On30/N power pack:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

I've had these apart for repair, so I'm somewhat familiar with them. 

I've never had a reason to take the speed control knob off the potentiometer under it.   

May I ask why you need to remove the knob? 

Do you already have the clam shells split apart?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Mirage88

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I managed to get it off - it is a tight sliding fit on a splined shaft and needs a fair bit of persuasion. The reason is that with my stiff hands I find that the taper on the knob makes it difficult for me to handle. I'm going to replace it with a simple cylindrical aluminium knob if I can find one.

Thanks again and best regards,

Don

Doneldon

Don-

Try Radio Shack; I think they are in Australia. In the alternative, try a hardware store or an online electronics store. If you can't find a replacement, try gluing rubber drawer liner to the existing knob or glue some plastic or metal to the knob so there is something to provide a grip.
                                                                -- D

Mirage88

Thanks for your helpful thoughts guys. I managed to find the perfect knobs at Jaycar - 45mm black plastic with the correct size hole and 2 allen screws. Problem is solved and it works a treat.

Happy shunting.....

Don