News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Source for old Tyco passenger car bulbs?

Started by Geno, February 20, 2011, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

Sorry about all these newbie questions.  I have several old Tyco passenger cars that are factory lighted. (probably 1960's) They use a very small threaded base bulb, diameter about .200".  The glass is about the same diameter as the base.  I have googled and searched with no success.  There is no number on the old ones.  Anyone know what they are and where they can be purchased? Alternatively, does anything else work in their place?  Thanks all!

Jim Banner

I believe you are looking for a 5.1mm x 16 mm  E5 base miniature bulb.  The 5.1 mm is the diameter and is almost exactly .2 inches.  The  E5 indicates an Edison screw base 5 mm in diameter, also known as a Lilliput base.  These are commonly available in 6 and 12 volt rating but the Tyco ones may have been rated 16 volts to withstand the kids who just had to run their trains at full speed.

I found a 14 volt, .05 amp, .7 watt version at this link:
http://www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/fullProd.php/Lilliput-LES-Bulb-14v-50ma--LES-Light-Bulb/21008
Disclaimer:  I have not dealt with this company and know nothing about them so please do not consider this an endorsement.  Their prices, however, seem reasonable and are low enough that if I were the one needing the bulbs, I would take a chance on them.

You might find more by Googling "E5 miniature bulbs."

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Len

You might also consider replacing the bulbs with an LED lighting kit. Miniatronics makes a nice one, PN: 100YCL01. It has a built in capacitor that keeps the lighting on for up to 3 minutes without power for "station stops".

It's designed so the PC board can be shortened with a razor saw for shorter cars. I have a set of Rounhouse Overton cars I used them in, and they look good. The 'YellowGlo' LEDs eliminate the window glare you generally get with incandescent bulbs.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Jim Banner on February 20, 2011, 10:04:28 PM
I believe you are looking for a 5.1mm x 16 mm  E5 base miniature bulb.  The 5.1 mm is the diameter and is almost exactly .2 inches.  The  E5 indicates an Edison screw base 5 mm in diameter, also known as a Lilliput base.  These are commonly available in 6 and 12 volt rating but the Tyco ones may have been rated 16 volts to withstand the kids who just had to run their trains at full speed.

Or the grown-up kids who did the same.  ;)  :D

Geno

I've always thought it was helpful for people to post what they ended up doing regarding a question they posted in a  forum instead of leaving everyone hanging.  The online train stores have a bulb, Life Like 1213 but the shipping starts at about $5.95 which makes three bulbs cost about  $3.50  each.  This is a 14 volt bulb.  Radio Shack carries a 12 volt bulb, number  272-1143 in a two pack for $1.49 the pair. It is in the pull-out drawers near the flashlight bulbs.  I had tested my track voltage at WOT and it is right at 12 volts.  I installed these bulbs and they seem to work perfectly and were reasonable in price.  Bulb life is supposed to be 1000 hours.