News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZTrack HO Layout

Started by copperleaf, February 20, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copperleaf

Here is another layout that I put together in XTrkCAD. It's HO106.

ho106 by copperleaf, on Flickr

copperleaf

Also, per suggestions, I modified th MV layout to use #5 turnouts. I could get rid of all the std ones, but was able to remove most of them.

morganvalley_flat by copperleaf, on Flickr

copperleaf

Since, I've been messing with layouts, here is one that I built for my brother 25 years ago. The pic doesn't reflect it, but it's an over/under where the outer loop on the right crosses over the inner loop. The only difference is I modeled this one to start a gradual grade (~1%) in the sidings on the left to get the rest of the grade down to 3%. In the original, we started the grade after the last switch on the bottom which resulted in a 4+% grade.

taylor by copperleaf, on Flickr

timhar47

Be careful, the #5 & #6 are more known for issues, especially when they adjoin curves. See the 2 posts - the lengthier one is called Bachmann Turnouts, I think. The new #4's seem all right, and I think someone said the new DCC are all good. I had EZ a year and a half ago, and got so disgusted with the trains jumping the switches, I sold it all on the bay. Now I am trying it again, as I still like code 100 better. And my standard switches all run fine so far, along with my 2 #4's
Tim

Doneldon

Cu leaf-

One way to ease the grade on an over-and-under layout is to have one track rise from the zero level while the other track goes down. This cuts the steepness roughly in half because the grade is spread over almost twice as much track. The resulting contours can be quite interesting, especially on a layout like your modified 106 which doesn't lend itself to switching. Throw in a tunnel or two and you have a great scenic opportunity.
                                                                                               -- D

LarryR

Quote from: timhar47 on February 21, 2011, 04:33:14 PM
Hello - so I took the challenge and got it - 4x7 Morgan using EZ track and the RR track software system.
Remember-Bachmann has added several new small fitter pieces, as well as a small 60 Xing, which may not be in your program library.
Now if I can figger out how to show the picture --- I cant get it down to the dumb 128 kb

Tim

Hi Tim,

I am also looking at The Morgan Valley as my 1st layout using EZ Track.  I bought enough of it to build the "HO Railroad That Grows" by Linn Westcott but decided the layout was too much of a "spaghetti bowl".

Would you please send me the file you created?

You can use my regular email account  lroma@r-i-b-s.com

TIA,
Larry

LarryR

Quote from: Doneldon on February 21, 2011, 02:03:18 AM

I'm thinking about the spur track which leaves your oval at the lower right, curves around the right end of your layout and then splits into two tracks. Have you thought of making that a mountain branch up to a mine, logging site or whatever?

Big -D,

I've  been lurking around this board for  a while now and you  never cease to  amaze me as to your knowledge and willingness to help.  Just in case no one has said this to you  before now.

THANKS A TON !!!

Larry

Doneldon

Larry-

Thank you for your kind words. They're good to hear.

-- D

Jim Banner

LarryR,

Did you mean to say a 2% grade in your original post?  A 2o grade is 3.5% which is NOT a gentle slope.  If you plan on running 3 or 4 car trains, that is okay.  But much longer than that, you will have to use multiple locomotives to get the train(s) up the grade.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.