News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Bachmann Bridges or Tressles

Started by MR536, February 21, 2011, 10:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR536

I would like to remove 2 pieces of 9" EZ Track...form a lake...then use a bridge with a shallow span, but cannot find any Bachmann Tressles or Bridges 18" in length....does Bachmann manufacture these?

Marv

Jim Banner

Unless the lake was really deep, a real railroad would use several short bridges on piers instead of one long bridge.  In a shallow lake, they might use a trestle or more likely with modern roads, just throw in a lot of fill with a culvert or two to connect the two halves of the lake.  And if the lake was small, they would probably just go around it.

If your aim is to install an impressive bridge, you might want to consider a deep gully, perhaps with a creek in the bottom.  Stoney Creek Bridge in British Columbia is some 660 feet long and 300 feet above Stoney Creek, a small, intermittent creek that would only rate a single culvert on the prairies.  Have a look at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoney_Creek_Bridge

For the record, Atlas makes an 18" through truss bridge or for about the same price, you could buy four of their 9" through girder bridges.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

MR536

hmmmm...that Stoney Creek Bridge is impressive indeed but space is somewhat limited.  The era fits well going around the early 1900's and I did see the Atlas brand...but I only have 2 inches of form with an additional 1" I could build up on it giving me 3" total.  I may place a couple of fisherman in this near the shallow end but would it be a hazard placing fisherman with the noise of the trains in the same location?  At 65 I am still a bit rusty on sceanry....need to get that oil can out  :-\

jward

i live near some major rivers, and i've seen people fishing under railroad bridges many times. my guess is that the fish get used to the noise of passing trains, and the bridge piers form eddies they like.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I agree with JWard on fishing under bridges.  I done it and seen many others do it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

FWIW I once "faked" a bridge by putting a section of Atlas Snap-Track between two sections of EZ-Track and supporting it by the lowest piers of the Atlas pier set.