News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can DCC be installed in a Jupiter

Started by alsemus, March 29, 2011, 11:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsemus

Is there room in the tender to install a Tsunami Sound decoder in a Jupiter engine?

richg

Plenty of room if you replace the motor with a can motor. No room for the speaker, though.
I have replaced the motor with a can motor and installed a small decoder for only the motor but the decoder is not a Bachmann brand decoder which is too large.

Rich

ACY

I would advise that you not attempt to install a sound decoder in this locomotive, there just isn't enough room for a speaker of any reasonable size, if at all.

jonathan

I saw this done successfully at the last train show I attended.  The link is gone, but there is a way to add a decoder to this little loco.  You will have to add more current pick up to the tender wheels. 

For sound, your best bet is to add a sound only decoder and speaker, and all wheel current pick up, to an era specific car, like a 36' wood box car.  Then the loco could pull this car along, providing sound for the locomotive.  Chuff rate would need to be adjusted I'm guessing.

Opinions will vary, but that's how I would do it.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Here are some DCC tender drive locos I have. I installed lead shot for tender weight with all wheel pikups.
Sound in a boxcar would be the best option.

Rich