removing factory dcals from locos

Started by sappple, June 22, 2007, 11:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sappple

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to remove the factory decals from Bachmann steam locos?

Thanks for the help.

LD303

I've had good success with rubbing alcohol...the 90% isopropyl type, I use a paper towel or something similar and put the alcohol on it and then gently scrub the lettering off.
I've also seen several people recommend Walthers solvaset decal setting solution.....brush it on and let it sit for a bit, then wipe it off.

lanny

There have been a lot of great suggestions on paint/printing/decal removal.

What has worked best for me on Bachmann Spec locomotives to take off lettering/numbering, etc. is finger nail polish remover. I dip a Q-tip in it and rub over the lettering or number. It is amazing how quickly everything comes off.

If you use this method, use finger nail polish remover that has acetone in it (and use a nose mask). Don't let the remover sit for long on the paint. Scrub with a Q-tip and wipe with a towel, etc. Two passes should pretty well take care of everything.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

A pencil eraser works fine.  I use one of the erasers that looks like a pencil.   OTOH, if you are doing a private road or a small line, you might want to just paint over the factory markings to make it look like a second hand loco.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

That's what I did to one of my GP7s. Used to be Santa Fe, and then I painted over the markings. I left the blue & yellow ATSF paint scheme. I plan to put my own lettering on the GP7.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

sappple

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Hunt

Bachmann's factory uses paint not decals.

usher42

What about removing decals  from cars

richG

I sometimes finish with #2000 grit sandpaper.

Rich