News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Thank You to Board Members

Started by WoundedBear, February 24, 2011, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

I'd like to say thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. I spend much more time reading than I do posting.....and with everything I read, I learn a little more.

Members such as Hunt, Jim Banner, Richg, & JWard..... to name a few....are a true inspiration and a wealth of knowledge. It is because of the knowledge gained here that I was able to undertake my latest project and have it turn out a success. I remotored and added a decoder and new lighting to a 30 year old Mehano diesel that for sentimental reasons, I can't seem to part with.

Thanks again gents.

Sid

richg

Great news. I love it when a plan comes together.

I hope you took some pictures during the project that can inspire others as you do not often hear of projects with such an older loco.

Right now I have a 1950's MDC/Roundhouse all metal SF 4-4-2 with the Pittman drive at NWSL where Dave is developing a upgrade drive for the old Pittman steam loco drives that he hopes to market which will definitely help those who have brass locos with this older drive who would like to run the locos with DCC sound which I will eventually do with my 4-4-2. I will post photos of the loco when I get it back since Dave is using it as a guinea pig to develop the new drive. I could probably do this on my own but Dave offered to reduce the price if I let him use my loco.

Dave did this last year when someone sent him their Spectrum three truck shay with cracked gears to develop the new steel gears.

The Internet has really improved the way we can communicate now.

Rich

Bucksco

Exactly what the forum is intended for. Our sincere thanks to everyone that contributes!

richg

If more here can learn to take pictures of the item they have a question for and use a site like Photo Bucket to post a photo, it will be a benefit to many here and less confusion on what the OP is asking about. Sometimes a video can be a big help.

A question like, my train is not working. What is wrong? and nothing else is mentioned.

Remember, you can download those videos and pictures right into your PC for future use.
This helps the model railroad community a lot when we can share useful ideas.

Rich

jonathan

Sid,

I have enjoyed following progress on your layout in the past.  Thanks to you, sir.

I do hope you plan to share more of your progress in the future, along with your special side projects, like the Mehano.  I, too, have learned a great deal by following other's efforts on this forum.

I will continue to share my foibles... I always learn something along the way.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

thanks for the vote of confidence.

while i have been in the hobby for about 40 years, don't think we old heads aren't learning something new from this forum as well. and i for one find the enthusiasm of our newer members inspiring. we all bring different experiences here, and together we create a vast pool of knowledge that helps all of us build and operate better model railroads...
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jgaynor

I too would like to echo the thought of wonderbear fot the expertise I find here, I too don't post much but come for technical advise and to see what other modelers are faceing while they build their layout.

The only down side I have found is that on a certain topic board for a Famos cartoon character that certain member of that board feel they have absolute say and control of what is said and posted on that board. I do enjoy reading some of the post on that site but feel that the Bachman should more closely monitor what certain members of that board are doing and saying. especialy as they are of a yonger age
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

RAM

jward I don't know if you are in HO or not, but if you are you have been in it for half of it life.  I think HO is about 80 years old.  I got my first HO car in 1946.  I think after about 5 year they changed from 6 volts to 12.  For the next 55 years not much really changed.  Yes everything got better each year. but the changes were small.  In the last 20 years things really started to change, and the last ten years we have been on the fast track.  Who knows what will happen in the next 5 to 10 years.

jward

i have been in both HO and n scales for the duration. i prefer HO for its reliability, and i like n for its small size and the ability to build towering mountains.

the progress made in HO has been dramatic the past 20 years, but the progress in n has been even greater. the avialability of excellent running locomtives is much more important in n scale because of its small size, and they've raised the bar to the point that n scale stuff runs as well as HO. and, interestingly enough, this all came about when n scale manufacturers adopted the split frame drive bachmann pioneered. tear any n scale diesel apart, and you have a scaled down version of an HO spectrum diesel....

we've come a long way, from a do it yourself hobby where you scratchbuilt much of your layout, to where you can buy complete layout kits complete with scenery....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA