News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Percy Chassis

Started by jsmvmd, January 27, 2011, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Howdy !

Sorry if this has been discussed, but what is the basis chassis/motor for this guy ?  Similar to the Porter, or a new design ?  Too, is he a good runner ?  I am thinking about getting him for under the Xmas tree.  Thanks

Best Wishes,
Jack

jsmvmd

Dear Hunt,

Thanks a million !

Best Wishes,

Jack

Chuck N

We ran Percy at our Christmas show at the Colvin Run Mill Park in Great Falls, Va.  He ran very well and we didn't have any problems.

If you are going to buy Percy, I would recommend getting him as a single engine, not part of the set with the troublesome trucks.  The Percy sold singly has a polarity switch so that you can easily change the polarity from NMRA to standard Large Gauge.  This is necessary if you are going to run him with other Large Gauge engines not made by Bachmann.  He will run in the opposite direction.  Most Bachmann engines have this switch.

The Percy in the set does not have the polarity switch and if you want to run it with other engines, you will have to change the wiring, not difficult, but something I'd rather not have to do.

Chuck N

BillingsRR

From what I have heard, Percy is a great runner.
-BRR

jsmvmd

Dear Chuck and "Bill,"

Many thanks !

Best Wishes,

Jack

Mark Oles

I know this is kind of an older post, but I can add that Percy's been a good runner here for us.  His top speed is just under warp 9, which is perfect for my 3 year old.  I did run him on my regular outdoor railroad, and while he ran fine, it is a fixed voltage layout (running the aristo revo), so he was absolutely FLYING on 24V DC.  I actually lost the driving rod screw and washer and when I cranked down on it, I snapped the screw head off.  I have since replaced with another screw I found in my workshop. 

Percy will pull quite a bit, even if he's a bit on the light side.  The drive train is pretty simple,  so I don't plan to run him under a heavy load for any long period.