News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas turnouts

Started by Tedshere, February 27, 2011, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tedshere

Can Atlas turnouts be adapted and used with the EZ Track system?
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Len

Actually, except for putting some cork under them to get the height correct, there's nothing to adapt on the Atlas turnout. You may have to trim the loop and pin off the end of the connecting EZ-Track though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jim Banner

To expand on what Len has said, you only have to cut off the loops and pins if your E-Z Track is glued down and you don't want to lift it.  It is just as easy to cut out spaces for the loops and pins in the base you use for your Altas switch, using existing loops and pins for reference.  If the size is just right, the loops left on the E-Z track pieces will hold them to the switch base, particularly if you cut the base from 1/4" plywood using a fret saw.

If you are adding an Atlas switch to an E-Z Track layout that is glued down, just cut the one section of track that the switch will replace.  Then you can lift it out one end at a time.  Why damage three pieces when you only need to cut one?  Even then, "damage" is a relative word.  Save the two cut pieces for when you need some special length pieces.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jim Banner

Thanks, Hunt.  Not exactly what I picture when I hear the term "C-clip" but if that is what Bachmann wants to call it, it's fine with me.  Especially since it isn't really a loop either.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ryeguyisme

u can try quarter inch foamboard as well, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents