News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Herzog

Started by richg, February 28, 2011, 01:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

A couple years ago I noticed some Herzog hopper cars at a trap rock quarry not far from where I live that is right next to the CSX line in Westfield , MA. I have been searching out the Herog company for info.
Below is a Herzog work train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9FXQZlsXk

I believe about three years ago some still shots of the Herzog car topper where posted here. Some people thought the pictures where very bizarre. Below is a video of this bucket loader that is a modified loader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4toJA5EXcM

Rich

ALCOS4EVER

Herzog is a railroad construction company based out of St. Louis, MO. Check out www.herzogcompanies.com

richg

Quote from: ALCOS4EVER on March 01, 2011, 10:21:33 AM
Herzog is a railroad construction company based out of St. Louis, MO. Check out www.herzogcompanies.com

I did a lot of research at that site a couple years ago. I just got the thought to check You Tube after a club discussion of the hoppers we see in our area now.
Fellow in our club has a hot dog stand, six days a week, at a rail crossing at the West end of a CSX yard in our area. One of the crew sometimes gets out of the standing loco and picks up lunch for him and the driver. The rear of the train is still in the yard while the car knocker does his thing. Once in a while the locos block the crossing which does affect business. CSX considers this crossing, part of the yard.
All the crews who pass through know this fellow.
Great place in the summer when you are retired.

Rich
Rich

jward

i live along the norfolk southern's pittsburgh line. during the spring and summer we get herzog ballast trains all the time. evidently norfolk southern either subcontracts with herzog or leases the trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

The Lane Quarry in Westfield Ma has been sending out tons of trap rock ballast for many years and the Herzog hoppers have been showing up at the Quarry. The quarry is right on the main line and string or two is pushed up a grade at the quarry. The hoppers are allowed to roll down the grade as a huge bucket loader loads the rock into the hoppers. A long conveyor system brings the crushed rock out to the loading area from the rock crusher. Very noisy area.

Rich