Who operates in....DC or DCC ?

Started by Tom Hogan, February 07, 2007, 08:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_not_benny

DC forever... I don't want to mill the frames on my older N scale locos.

lanny

I run DC/analog. Nigel and several other DCC experts on this forum have made a great case for DCC ... but for now, I am more into 'kitbashing' ICRR steam and green diamond diesels, as well as building resin kits and high quality styrene kits such as Branchline Blueprint series, etc.

So, this winter, my layout has remained unfinished with some trackwork and a yard to be completed and the whole thing to be rewired. Financially, DCC is not an option presently, so, while envious of those have DCC and are experts with sound, decoders, etc. I plan to stay DC for the forseeable future.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

jschmid

DC Only, looking forward to broadway limited new dc sound loco's for $169.95

Atlantic Central

OK,

The current score:

DCC 8

DC 10

This is about what I said in my many posts about this subject, DCC is a large minorty, something more than 1/3 but less than half.

Admittedly this is a small sample, but these percentages seem to match the other modelers I know and and what shop owners have related.

This has never been an inexpensive hobby once you get more involved, but if it gets to the point that just getting started is both expensive and complex, which may have hapened allready, the number of new modelers will be limited. That is not a good thing.

DCC can be very expensive, and it is an invisable expense. It does not add a locomotive or freight car or structure to your layout.

Again, I am not against DCC or sound in general. If I was modeling On30 I would have both DCC and sound. But for my goals in HO they are not desirable or cost effective. And I can't imagine why anyone in N scale would want the problems of fitting decoders in those locos.

And, dare I say, if you just depend on ready to run products to solve problems like N scale decoder installation, then it becomes more like setting up Marklin, not building a model railroad in the long standing tradition of this hobby. (It was hard, but I avoided the dreaded "serious modeler" phrase)

And computerized block control is offering a high tech choice that solves the same old fashioned limitations of DC cab control that DCC does, just in different ways with different trade offs.

Just remember, just my opinion.

Sheldon

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Mik

DC, or summat more accurately PWM (pulse width modulation) I just like the operating characteristics of the Crest power packs....BTW as I understand it mixing PWM and DCC will cause havoc with the decoders, so I doubt I'll convert anytime soon!
Mik

Mike

DC for me in N, HO, S, large, and some O (rest of O is AC). Plan to go with either Direct Block Control or Computerized Block Control for future HO layout.- Mike S.

brad

When I started my new layout, I wired it for DCC and have had nothing but fun, greatly simplified wiring, multiple tains with on throttle in different directions on the same main. I'm not a DCC snob, but with the price and simplicity of DCC, I couldn't see myself spending hours on wiring (I do enough at work) plus the price of good electrical switches, wire and control panels isn't getting cheaper either.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Atlantic Central

Current Score:

Still holding at about the same percentages

DCC  45%

DC    55%

With about 15% of the DC crowd interested in computerized block control.

Question for Jim Banner,

You did compertized block control in the past, correct?

Have you looked at Oak Tree Systems or Signal Research?

Both of which use a cab for every block rather than doing any high current switching. I know you are happy with DCC, but was just interested in you thoughts

Sheldon

The Old Fardt

Since I'm into On30, DCC is the thing as many engines come that way so to change to regular DC would be going backwards.

I vote DCC.

kenruof

NCE DCC,

Since I was into CTC16/32 and Dynatrol in years past, when I built my HO layout several years ago I started from the beginning with DCC and when I converted to On30 a year+ ago it was a natural progression all with sound of course  ;D.

Ken

gardenrail

Two Levels :

Lower Level - all DCC

Upper level - switchable DC/DCC

DCC - Uhlenbrock Intellibox

StanAmes

Interesting thread.  I operate for the most part in DCC but then most of you already knew that.  I also have live steam which in time I will also convert to DCC.

As the prices continue to drop and the quality for the low end stuff continues to improve in time most new modelers will likely start off in DCC.  But that is just an opinion.

Stan Ames

ben_not_benny

Quote from: atlanticcentral on February 10, 2007, 10:05:19 AM
Current Score:

Still holding at about the same percentages

DCC  45%

DC    55%

With about 15% of the DC crowd interested in computerized block control.

I recently built a single-oval N scale layout that uses gravity as the power source. I built the benchwork so that it can be tilted a little in all directions with a finger. I also made two very free-rolling dummy locos from Atlas parts. I installed locks on the track that can open or close to prevent runaway cars and hold them. The entire project was done in a week and it was the cheapest layout I've built yet, since it required no power pack and powered locomotives.