News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

22" radius DCC turnout

Started by whizamit, February 28, 2011, 09:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whizamit

Does Bachmann make a 22" radius DCC turnout? If not, what are my options for adding a turnout to a 22" radius oval track?

Thanks

jward

bachmann does not make a 22" radius switch, but atlas does. it should be easy to shim the atlas one up to ez track height with a piece of cork roadbed or pine moulding strip.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

Which Atlas turnout uses a 22" radius curved track?
Pacific Northern

ACY

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 01, 2011, 12:43:13 AM
Item #546 22" Radius Snap Switch Left Hand - Remote
Item #547 22" Radius Snap Switch Right Hand - Remote
Here is a pic on walthers...http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/150-544

jward

they are something new. i just found out about them a couple of months ago. they are not in the library of atlas's track planning program.....yet.

i wonder if they work better than the 18" radius ones?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ACY on March 01, 2011, 01:12:42 AM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 01, 2011, 12:43:13 AM
Item #546 22" Radius Snap Switch Left Hand - Remote
Item #547 22" Radius Snap Switch Right Hand - Remote
Here is a pic on walthers...http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/150-544

EZ Track is code 100
Atlas switches are code 83.  Have not heard good comments reqarding the code 83/code 100 rail joiners.
Would not the track connections be subject to derailments?
Pacific Northern

ACY

I would not use these turnouts anyways, I do not use anything less than a #5 or #6 on my layout. I do not use E-Z track either. I use all code 83 track mostly Atlas and a few Peco turnouts.

jward

there are ways to get around the change in rail height. the transition joiners atlas sells are one way, but i'd solder them. it will keep the rails in alignment. as long as the tops and inside edges of the rails match, the transition will be like any other rail joint. another method is to flatten half of a code 100 joiner, and solder the code 83 rail on top of the joiner.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

Quote from: jward on March 01, 2011, 05:38:56 PM
they are something new. i just found out about them a couple of months ago. they are not in the library of atlas's track planning program.....yet.

I believe if you download the newest Atlas Right Track software....version 10.0, you will find these turnouts in there. Trying to update RTS 7.0 or 8.0 won't add the items to the library.

Sid