Keeping Track of Your Model Railroad Resource Files

Started by CNE Runner, March 01, 2011, 09:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

In another thread I suggested keeping an expanding file - rather than whole issues of model railroad magazines. We all know that one can become inundated by the sheer volume of even a couple of years worth of periodicals. My answer was to cut out articles of interest and file them in an accordion file. Another poster suggested that I scan these articles and save them as PDF files.

The problem I had, with saving as PDF files, arose when an article ran several pages in length (as most do). One can save them as individual files (and thus have a hard drive clogged with files), or merge the files such that each file shows all the pages of the article - in one file location. Adobe Reader is not capable of completing this task (or at least the free version isn't). However there is an inexpensive, easy-to-use program that is. Check out the 4Videosoft PDF Merger at the following website:
The website gives you the opportunity to download a trail version to see if it meets your needs. I was so impressed with this program that I ended up purchasing the regular version.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mabloodhound

Great info, thanks.   I have so many PDF's this will come in handy.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

I had thought about something like that but I use a Linux OS and I just categorize my stuff in folders with my own directory.
I keep a external hard drive with all data duplicated.
I have considered using the "Cloud" for storage but did not want to pay storage fees.
I have considered a 32gb flash drive and put it in a bank safety deposit box in case the house ever burns down. Those devices are quite small.

Rich

daveb

I use a Canon 4400F scanner which can create multipage PDF files and I am sure some others must have a similar facility, so before buying extra software check that supplied with your scanner to see if is capable of doing the same.

Dave.

jfraymondpa

I use an HP C6380 al- in-one printer and Linux to create multi-page PDF's. I've been doing the same as others, keeping a copy on an external drive.

So definitely check  the hardware and software that you have, you may be surprised at what it can do.

John

CNE Runner

I have been working for at least the past couple of days (a few hours/day) and still have too many articles left to scan/merge. In the process, I found some articles that were interesting, applicable...and I had forgotten I possessed! Perhaps some sort of index would make finding pertinent articles easier in the future?

RichG brought up a salient point regarding 'the Cloud' or off-site data storage. Not only are my model railroad files on the computer; but virtually all our pictures - taken in the past 10 years or so - are as well. I periodically (maybe once a year...if I remember) save copies of these files on a CD. What would happen if someone stole our computer? [We did have a break in before our alarm system was installed...they didn't bother the computer.] My wife and I are looking into remote data backup...at $55/year it is worth the piece of mind.

Well, back to scanning....

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mabloodhound

Do some research on those off site backups.   
I have read of problems with Carbonite but have not tried them or any others yet.
Just remember, many of the "reviews" are actually sites maintained by the software companies themselves.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

Quote from: mabloodhound on March 02, 2011, 10:50:14 AM
Do some research on those off site backups.   
I have read of problems with Carbonite but have not tried them or any others yet.
Just remember, many of the "reviews" are actually sites maintained by the software companies themselves.

Below is a search link about Carbonite.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Carbonite+reviews&hl=en

Much of the time, I search through different links to get a decent cross section of reviews. It can take time.
Some do not know how to use a PC or the Internet very well and sometimes blame the site and give poor reviews.
Some good reviews may be by the site owners.
Google is supposed to be watching out for this but that is another issue. Some companies cheat by pumping up their search result numbers on Google so that may not always be a good indicator.

Sounds like some forum members who post a lot to get their "numbers" up.

Percentage of the time the site might be down can be an issue.

Places like PC World Magazine and PC Magazine might have decent indicators of performance.

http://www.pcworld.com/search.html?qt=cloud+storage+reviews&tk=srch_self

http://www.pcmag.com/search_redirect/?qry=cloud+storage+reviews&searchSection=0&site=3

I did not search those two sites for Carbonite reviews. I will let you do that.
My nephew's wife use Carbonite for her fairly new on line business and so far has been happy with it.

Rich

Joe323

I have used Carbonite for two years now without any problems.