News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B23-7/B30-7 wrong coupler height

Started by vananni, March 01, 2011, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vananni

Brand new out of the box CSX B23-7/B30-7 diesel locomotive and the couplers on the front and rear of unit seem to be slightly low of any rolling stock I try to couple it to.  Result is that unit will not stay coupled.  All the rest of my rolling stock and locos match up perfectly.  The coupler unit is mounted to the shell and I don't see any way of adjusting or changing the coupler  height. 
I just can't believe a QC problem of this nature.   Is there something I'm missing?

Albert in N

I own two of these locomotives (a Santa Fe and a MoPac).  Both have wrong coupler height, even for Bachmann dummy coupler equipped cars.  Yes, they come uncoupled on level track!  I managed to forcefully bend mine slightly with two hobby pliers and they match somewhat.  I noted that the forward headlight is too dim on both.  Also, the design makes it almost impossible to mount MicroTrains couplers.   I also own a Bachmann FM H16-44.  It has the same coupler issues, but slightly easier to mount MT coupler boxes.  For the record, I ordered a new Bachmann SD-45 and when it came, it would light up, but no motor movement or noise (using DC MRC Tech powerpack).  Also, it still had Rapido couplers in 2011!  Fortunately, Train World let me return the defective SD-45 for credit on a  Kato.  The Kato is great and no complaints (you get what you pay for).   Now I know why the hobby shops in my Fort Worth / Dallas, Texas areas normally do not carry Bachmann diesels.   If you want one, you have to go on line.

daniel_leavitt2000

Coupler height has always been an issue when manufacturers switch to knuckle style couplers. When Kato first introduced their dumby couplers, they sat about as low as the Bachmann ones do. Their issue was that they built their engines to accept a Micro-Trains 2004 coupler box, and not the standard height 1015. When they designed the coupler, it was made to work in a 1015 mounting height. The result was a coupler that sat very low.

The easiest way to convert the engine to standard height is to use a Micro Trains 2002 or 2004 coupler kit. The couplers will be at the correct height. I also believe that the newer Bachmann operating couplers mount slightly higher than the old dumby couplers.

Albert in N

N started out with the crummy Rapido couplers (about on par with the earlier HO horn/hook couplers).  I own 3 Bachmann GP40s and a F9.  I noted no problem with their coupler height, even when replacing a couple with the Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers.  The others already had the dummy couplers.   Sure they start cold with about 10 volts, but run good and are fun.   My two Bachmann B23-7/B30-7 units, plus my Bachmann FM H-16-44 all came new with dummy knuckle couplers, all the wrong height.   The B-23-7s and H-16-44 all run good, starting with the same voltage as my Kato diesels.  Other than their dim lights and wrong coupler height, they are OK.  However, before buying MicroTrains couplers for them, look at what you are facing.  In converting, you will spend several hours filing, shimming, drilling and mounting.  My thoughts are that no one checked the coupler heights after production started.   Also, I replaced the Rapido couplers with Bachmann dummy couplers on an older Kato GE U30C and the couplers matched all of my freight cars, even MicroTrains.   There was no height problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am not taking issue.   I am simply stating my experience.  I own over 20 N scale locomotives and have been tinkering with N scale since 1969, other scales earlier.  I am now exclusively N scale by choice. :)