How to add hook and loop couplers to Ely Thomas 1:20.3 Scale 20' Box Car?

Started by Jerry McColgan, March 01, 2011, 12:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry McColgan

I have a logging train made up of a Bachmann Ely Thomas Porter, freight cars and caboose with Kadee couplers but I want to be able to use a sound car and occasionally a different loco that have hook and loop couplers. I DO NOT want to convert the sound car or the other loco to Kadee couplers.

What is the recommended way to put hook and loop couplers on the 20' Box Cars?

Thanks,

Jerry McColgan

Loco Bill Canelos

I don't know of any recommended way, You will have to experiment with different methods.  ONe possible way would be to buy some regular style Bachmann freight trucks with couplers mounted on the truck. replace the large size wheels with the small wheels from the existing trucks.  Remove the body mount coupler box from your car and install the new truck.  The Bachmann hook and lop couplers will easily replace the Big Hauler knuckle couplers.

The downside of this solution is that the trucks will look a bit large on that small car, but it should at least work and get you running.

Good luck!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickb

Looking at an unused 20' box car the hook and loop coupler (comes with two hook and loops in the box) simply screws on in place of the original knuckle coupler (this is not the normal knuckle coupler it is two pieces screwed together). When yours has been converted to kadees the whole coupler has been replaced. Not sure how to fix the problem as the couplers do not appear in the online parts listing.