News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Future of ON30

Started by Hamish K, March 03, 2011, 02:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

For some reason my computer decided to send my message while I was in the middle of composing it - as I was trying say, On30 has always consisted of a large variety of modellers, including, in no particular order,
      Those using it as a convenient way to model 3 foot (or 2 foot) gauge prototypes
      Freelance modellers using it to model narrow gauge of no particular gauge,
     Industrial modellers such as mining, logging, sugar cane etc.
      Kit-bashers who love modifying HO gauge equipment to On30
     Those modelling actual 30 inch gauge lines, often from overseas, but sometimes US lines

Many other variations exist. Bachmann has tried to provide models to suit most of the above, and I expect them to continue to do so, as no one segment  of the On30 market is probably big enough by itself to justify a whole large range.

Hamish

those

Ken Clark

Hamish

Forgot also the Five  Sierra Leone BG,  IF 2-6-2+2-6-2T that were converted to IF 2-8-0+0-8-2T.

Ken Clark
  GWN

BIG BEAR

Hey All,

I am so glad to see that even a post started a year and a half ago can be resurrected a few times. This is proof enough this On30 thing is here to stay. Thank-you Bachmann for your dedication to this Scale/Guage.
I also want to thank-you for the opportunity to let us share our thoughts on train related conversations.
    My personal opinion is On30 is going to stay around for a long time. My bet for next Loco would be on a 2-6-2 Prairie type and even more desired (from others) would be a 2-6-2T. I would prefer the Tender behind. I feel the size would be right between the 2-6-0 Mogul and the much larger 2-8-0. I would purchase at least 1 to go with the bakers dozen Moguls and the couple 4-4-0's I run. I would like to see this as well as a "Gandy Dancer" MOW car in a couple different lines like the inevitable Christmas - Santa Claus 1.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Royce Wilson

Bachmann could just add one more wheel to the IF 4-4-0 and make a nice small porter mogul.

Royce Wilson

Anubis

Nice idea, Royce!!!  ;D ;D

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

ryeguyisme

If bachmann were to consider making a large American built narrow gauge steam locomotive, the largest would be a 2-10-4 that ran on the Teresa Cristina in Brazil

Tons of videos on YouTube of them, surprised nobody has modelled them, they're truly magnificent monsters

http://youtube.com/watch?v=drquakTIPNw

If bachmann did these or DRGW K-36's or K-37's I may take a dive into the On30 market

Skarloey Railway

a 2-10-4 in On30....

trouble is, you just know what everyone's first question's gonna be

what radius will it go round  ::)

Mister Lee

A thought, but I fear those Brazilian Texans would never, ever make their way around the 24 inch radius curves used on several Texas and Florida modular groups.

In an ideal world, tight curves would be on sports cars and pretty young girls. Alas, we have to make certain compromises in real life. I don't think a 2-10-4 would clear club curves.

Quote from: ryeguyisme on July 29, 2012, 06:17:56 AM
If bachmann were to consider making a large American built narrow gauge steam locomotive, the largest would be a 2-10-4 that ran on the Teresa Cristina in Brazil

Tons of videos on YouTube of them, surprised nobody has modelled them, they're truly magnificent monsters

http://youtube.com/watch?v=drquakTIPNw

If bachmann did these or DRGW K-36's or K-37's I may take a dive into the On30 market

az2rail

I would like to see a Brazillian Texan made. As I don't need to worry about tight curves, the size is not a problem for me. As a matter of fact, the bigger the better, as long as it is narrow gauge.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Ballard Southern

I'm sure it would take bigger curves than most of us build, but if someone offers it, I'm sure the curves will come. My layout is small, but I still built to 26" curves... just because they look better and my friend goes for steam.  I kind of wonder what curves it could actually be built to take, even though I'm not a steam fan.

One of the things I like about On30 is that is a railroad home for imagination.   I like to imagine that narrow gauge continued in big way right into modern times.   I liked the idea of a modern national narrow gauge network presented in the last On30 pub.   This is why I keep campaigning for modern diesels.  We can't move into modern times if we don't get some real diesels.  They don't have to be exact copies of standard gauge ones, but appropriate size and scale for serious 30" narrow gauge railroading.  On30 SW's and RS's would get us started off right!   

Dick Wightman
Ballard Southern Railroad
The On30 Diesel Route
24 Hour Service - The BS never stops!

Kevin S.

I'll bet Bachmann could get a 2-10-4 down to 24 inch radius.

I believe the MMI Hybrid On30 K-27's could negotiate 24 or 26 inch radius curves, much tighter than the On3 versions of the same locomotive.

The Argentinian 2-10-2s on the Rio Turbio would also make a great model. These little monsters have blind center drives and rods designed to allow the locomotive to go around tighter curves than would normally be expected for locomotives of the Santa Fe type.

Big power for narrow gauge!

I would also like to see a big diesel and some steel box cars.

Royce Wilson

If Bachmann built another diesel(critter) then how about the OX that was used on the Bellview & Cascade(CMStP&P) a narrow gauge brach of a class one railroad in Iowa.

Royce

Skarloey Railway

Assuming 2-10-2s and 2-10-4s are unlikely to materialise I'd like to nominate another equally unlikely machine for consideration. Admittedly, it's not 30" gauge, or even 36", but 42"! but it is American built and very much still with us.
1929, General Electric box-cab of the Ferrocarril de Tocopilla

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38114434@N02/5649537859
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/306703/

nice. :-*

and it will take those curves with ease!

Anubis

I like that Box Cab Electric.

It doesn't look to be too taxing to 'bash it up from an HO diesel mech and an O scale reefer, plus some other bits and pieces.;D

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Skarloey Railway

True in every way, except for the pantographs. HO would be too small and O a tad large. And I really wouldn't want to have to make my own :-[ There are a number of diesel box cab kits to do exactly as you suggest but the crazy knitting (catenary)on that Chilean line is part of it's charm.