News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

which decoder for hudson?

Started by Keusink, March 03, 2011, 04:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

I just bought a Rivarossi-Hornby, HO, new Hudson. Looks like the non-streamlined version, probably a J1e though not advertised as such.

I called before I ordered it, because it was advertised as "DCC ready". The supplier said it was just plug in and go. They recommend MRC decoder, which I do not like.

When I got the loco, there is only a two wire plug between loco and tender.

Does anyone recognize how this is "DCC ready"? Can anyone tell me what to get and do to turn the DCC ready ("JUST PLUG IN A DECODER") into a functioning dcc?

I like the loco because it gives me a full size freight with a shorter wheelbase than a Berk or Norhern. Suggestions or referreal to a site?

Chris

richg

Open the tender. That is where the decoder usually is installed. Check the documents that came with the loco.
Some brands have a 8 pin, some a 9 pin

Rich

Keusink

Rich
The documents accompanying the locomotive are sketchy, and give helpful information like "do not immerse locomotive in fluid to clean". No mention of decoders or DCC at all.

Don't decoders in tender require more than two wires to the loco?

Maybe I got hornswaggled on this?

Chris

bobwrgt

Can you post a picture of it with the boiler or tender top off ? Was it in a box marked Rivarossi by Hornby? If you only have two wires from the tender they are only for additional electriccal pick up. The newer OO scale Hornby engines have their decoders mounted inside the boiler of the engine.

Bob

richg

Yeah, open up things and post a photo. A photo is supposed to be worth a thousand or so words.

I did a bunch of searching using Google and Yahoo and all I found was that Hornby had aquirred Rivarossi and that the 4-6-4 is available DCC ready but no installs articles so far.

Rich