News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Uncoupler magnet tricks needed

Started by darticus, March 04, 2011, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

I am sure you pros know all the tricks to get the best results from uncoupled magnets. I am sure that when you fine tune something they work pretty good. Care to share info on setting the magnets etc. up? Thanks Ron

Albert in N

Right now, I am using Kato UniTrack with uncoupler magnet sections built in.  Previously, I used Atlas track and bought MicroTrains Atlas uncoupler track sections with uncoupler magnets installed ready to go.  Hobby shops normally have them in stock.  Years ago, I had to cut out center ties from Atlas track to glue in MicroTrains (used to be Kadee N) magnets.  These are still avalable from MT.  I am sure you could also cut out center black ties in Bachmann EZ track leaving the gray plastic roadbed.  Simply buy MicroTrains uncoupler magnets and lay one on a track section.  Cut out the ties in the area needed to fit the magnet.  Afterwards, be sure that the magnet lies at or below the top of the rails.  Then use any good glue (Hobsco Goo, Duco, or similar gap filling cement) and put light coat on top of mounting area and on the bottom of the magnet.  Position the magnet centered between the rails.  Then lay a piece of steel (old door hinge or other) on top of the rails with the magnet.  If necessary, weight it down.  Let it dry at least 6 hours or more depending on the glue. Then remove the steel and your uncoupler magnet will be the exact height of the rails.  You can uncouple magnetic coupler equipped cars.

Albert in N

With uncoupler magnet track sections, you should be able to uncouple MicroTrains, McHenry (Athearn), Atlas, or similar coupler equipped cars and locos (ones that have little metal rods angled forward from the movable coupler halfs).  Simply stop the train with the couplers over the magnet and back slightly.  Then pull the train forward and the couplers should have released.  You can back slowly and push the uncoupled car back and leave it.  Over the track magnet, the couplers will have separated so that they are not hooked together and can be pushed into a siding.  Back up past the uncoupler magnet to couple cars ready to be added to your train.  Be aware that a train moving over an uncoupler magnet can uncouple if it pauses or jerks.  If it moves smoothly, the train stays coupled.  So far, I have not seen the new Bachmann magnetic couplers and EZ Track magnetic uncoupler sections. Hopefully they will soon appear in hobby shops.

darticus

It seems like pushing the uncoupled car back without it coupling again is a problem. It seems to couple and not stay uncoupled. Ron

Quote from: Albert in N on March 04, 2011, 08:57:58 PM
With uncoupler magnet track sections, you should be able to uncouple MicroTrains, McHenry (Athearn), Atlas, or similar coupler equipped cars and locos (ones that have little metal rods angled forward from the movable coupler halfs).  Simply stop the train with the couplers over the magnet and back slightly.  Then pull the train forward and the couplers should have released.  You can back slowly and push the uncoupled car back and leave it.  Over the track magnet, the couplers will have separated so that they are not hooked together and can be pushed into a siding.  Back up past the uncoupler magnet to couple cars ready to be added to your train.  Be aware that a train moving over an uncoupler magnet can uncouple if it pauses or jerks.  If it moves smoothly, the train stays coupled.  So far, I have not seen the new Bachmann magnetic couplers and EZ Track magnetic uncoupler sections. Hopefully they will soon appear in hobby shops.

Albert in N

Backing cars and keeping them from recoupling is tricky.  The slightest pause or bounce movement will cause coupling.  Slight weighting of the cars may help since lighter cars seem to be more of a problem.  In N scale, we normally do not add axle point springs (for resistence) like some HO scalers.  I note that MicroTrains offers some non magnetic axle wheel sets that may help (if that is the problem).  Sometimes the coupler trip pins need minor adjusting (see MT instructions).   If you have a local N modular club or go to a train show, you will find some guys and gals that probably can help.  You could also get a few pointers from a good hobby shop.  If you find a solution, share it.