News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailment issues

Started by outkasts, March 03, 2011, 05:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outkasts

I have a old spectrum diesel 8 c dash 40 with body mounted couplers I'm using easy snap track what turning radius does it need to be

ACY

If you are already using 12.5" radius, the next step up is 19" radius and if that doesn't work it means the locos wheels may be out of gauge or some other problem.

ACY

12 degree curves are completely different from 12.5" inch radius curves. 12 degree curves need 30 pieces to make a full circle. Bachmann also makes 17.5" radius curves if that better suits you.

NuthinDragginOwt

Sometimes an issue in N scale is that the locomotives with body mounted couplers swing much wider that the cars can handle, being the cars typically have a truck mounted coupler. There are 2 solutions to this problem without modifying you current track, if it is fastened to a layout that is. One option is to body mount a coupler to one of your cars, this will make the coupler swing further out, so the engine should not pull it off the track. Second, mount a longer coupler to your engine, that can swivel pretty freely, that will allow the coupler on the engine to swing far enough over to match up with the coupler on your freight cars. I am not sure exactly what couplers you're using, but if you're using the old large (sometimes referred to as "Rapido") couplers, the best thing to do is look at different ones available in parts boxes or sections, some manufacturers of these couplers had varying sizes of the coupler shanks. If you are using a knuckle-type coupler, Bachmann does make a knuckle type dummy coupler in 3 shank lengths, or trying using Micro-trains couplers, which are made in various sizes and coupler heights.

johnTom

Quote from: outkasts on March 05, 2011, 10:20:01 PM
thank you for your time and help i would like to use micro train couplers could u please help by finding me the part number i would need for the engine and how do u convert a car to body mount couplers

Use MT - MicroTrains - 1015/1016   -MT 's part No. 001 014-. However, I Have some Spectrum DASH 8-40C's for sale complete with Micro Trains couplers,if you're interested? contact me at>tom39@rochester.rr.com<

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

rrtreerat

Quote from: outkasts on March 05, 2011, 10:20:01 PM
thank you for your time and help i would like to use micro train couplers could u please help by finding me the part number i would need for the engine and how do u convert a car to body mount couplers
The part # listed is Spectrum Series 8-40C: MTL Pilot:1164 (001 33 040) for this engine.
For a freight car it varies from:
universal body mount coupler.  (1023), this one is a good standard type
draft gear & coupler for flat cars, gondolas, 57' TOFCs.
(1026)
2 pr. (1015) short shank (.312") & 1 pr. (1016) med. Shank (.375") body mount couplers.  (1015/1016), these will work if the car fame is not too low, the 1016 gives you the widest swing for sharp curves.
N-Scale and Plant-N-Trak Coordinator