News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Not blowing smoke !

Started by Tedshere, March 04, 2011, 04:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tedshere

My month old steam loco only blew smoke the first couple times I added liquid. I tried disconnecting the remote turnouts in case they were drawing too much power from my power pack. That didn't make any difference. Anybody got some other ideas I can try?
    Thanks, Ted :-\
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

ACY

The smoke is not reliable on any low-end HO steam locomotive, and is not much more reliable with top of the line locomotives. You need to run the locomotive at full speed if you want smoke, you cannot turn the speed dial down or else it will stop. You also may have a clog.

CNE Runner

Trust me Ted, a locomotive that doesn't 'blow smoke' is a good thing. Take this from an ex-Lionel collector...a train room, filled with 'smoke' gets very old - very fast.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

Ted-

Unless you have small children who get a charge out of the so-called smoke I urge you to forget it. It isn't very realistic to begin with, and you'll pay a price in messy track and locos if you use it.
                                                                                                             -- D

Tedshere

Thanks for all the info. I did find that it's necessary to run at about 60%, then the smoke works. The info about the messy track and locos is a good tip that I hadn't considered or experienced yet. But the part about the small children enjoying it was the most interesting. I'm the only person in this household.  So I guess a 66 year old beginner is a lot like a small child when it comes to the smoke. 'Cause I was getting a kick out of it!  ::) But I won't bother buying more smoke juice cause I don't like messes. :(  Thanks guys !!!
    Ted
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Len

If you really want smoke in an HO loco, check the train shows for an old American Flyer HO steamer. They had a smaller version of the piston type smoke unit used in the AF 'S' gauge locos. Smokes like crazy, and the piston set up makes a 'chuff', 'chuff', sound as it runs with no electronics.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbsmith

Try a track cleaning car in the consist when running smoke,,this will keep the track cleaning relatively worry free.
When the time comes to clean the pad,,if it is a Bachmann,, you can simply remove the pad and wash it in the dishwasher in the silverware basket, that is just one way to clean it, then re-attach the pad to the track cleaning car when done.

Also if it is a small layout,,an old t shirt and alcohol is all you really need for cleaning track, maybe pass a scotchbrite
over the track to loosen up the really caked on crud if any. A typical simple 4x8 layout for example,,10 - 15min cleaning time,,maybe a bit more depending on how complex.

As far as it making a mess,,you would have to literaly run that little loco 24-7-365 before you see any adverse impact.
Most of the smoke oil,,a very very very Thin, mineral oil,,evaporates. What does spit out can be simply wiped off  of the loco with a dry rag.
Might be true of the smoke locos of the 1970s or earlier, mess wise.

The smoke units are not very large,,5 drops max is the most i add when i do run smoke.
Add smoke fluid when the unit is cold.
Sometimes just blowing into it will clear things up.
If all else fails, replacements are about $5
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_91&products_id=1706

Tedshere

I can't thank you guys enough! I'm a brand new beginner and questions I've had for many years have kept me from getting started with this hobby. I wish I knew 10 years ago about this kind of web site and the information you readily share.
    All of your posts have given me very pertenant information. I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I read about cleaning the track. That was going to be my next question. Just holding off on it 'cause I didn't want my questions to appear as rapid fire!!
    Thanks guys, very much appreciated !!!

Ted
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

ryeguyisme

any other questions about model railroading don't be afraid to come here, this online community has a variety of posters that can answer your questions from different approaches and angles. Have fun!

Tedshere

Hey ryeguy! Funny to see a post from you. I was just reading your entry about the brass 2-10-4. What a beauty!
    The information here is phenomenal!
    Thanks,
    Ted
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Chum

You are not alone in the "old young guy" new to the hobby, I am 67 and just getting started and have found the information platform very helpful,

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Tedshere on March 08, 2011, 08:37:22 AM
    Hey ryeguy! Funny to see a post from you. I was just reading your entry about the brass 2-10-4. What a beauty!
    The information here is phenomenal!
    Thanks,
    Ted

Thanks Ted and yes its been a while haha, currently in the process of cleaning my office errr 1300 square foot basement to prepare for more prjects and clean up after previous ones haha