News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Disassembly for Painting.

Started by steamer51, March 05, 2011, 11:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamer51

Hello: I'm new to ON30. I've never tried taking the cars apart to repaint. My concern is the tank car. Is the tank and all the attached parts removable? If something were to break, are all the parts available from Bachmann? I know they are in the Large scale line. I would appreciate any help in this concern. steamer51

Maine 2 Foot

Parts are not usually available from Bachmann, as I found out when I needed replacement doors for some boxcars. It is best to go slow and careful. A nice set of needle nose pliers, a set of micro screwdrivers, a pair of tweezers, and a small flat screwdriver are just some tools that will make it much easier. Tank car disassembly is a bit tricky at those straps that tie down the tank. I found out that putting it back together was ok until I got to putting those back on. I used small track nails to replace 2 screws I stripped on one side. I just super glued them in since they were fairly snug but not firm holding.

I removed the trucks first, then underframe. Carefully undo the small teeny screws to get the straps off. ( PUT THESE STRAP SCREWS IN A ZIPLOCK TO AVOID LOSS!!!! ) Next you will remove the 2 screws under the car to release the tank. After that you should be able to reverse the process.

Mine was a bit tricky only because I replaced a red car body with a black one that did not have the screw holes for the straps or tank mount. I redrilled using the original as a guide. I wanted a silver tank on a black car and I am better at adapting than painting....LOL

Vince

Tomcat

Steamer51,

everything can be removed.  Go the way, Maine 2 Foot described; I can recommend this way too:

Unscrew the trucks by the centered screws in the trucks. The couplers can be removed for painting the body, just check, how the plates are attached to the body. Take extra care not to loose the tiny screws of the plates which hold the couplers. There are two lugs cast on these plates, they go to the inner of the car´s body, when I recall it right.

The tank can be taken off too. Undo the metal strings which hold the tank body to the car body, but take extra,extra care!!! These tiny screws can be lost easily. Best keep them on a magnet (a O-Scale 2-Rail uncoupler magnet does work perfect for that - that´s what I always do) or store them until you will re-use them again. The tank body will come off now easily.

I have made a extra-long On30 tank car from two Bachmann Tankers to follow a Maine Prototype...

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Maine 2 Foot

Quote from: Tomcat on March 06, 2011, 07:03:30 AM

I have made a extra-long On30 tank car from two Bachmann Tankers to follow a Maine Prototype...

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Snip))))  Hey Tom, I would like to see that tank car. :)

Vince