News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ICRR #908 all done!

Started by lanny, June 23, 2007, 01:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi Bill,

Wow! Thanks for your very kind comments. As to your question about removing the sand dome: I have finished a second #908 for another modeler and have two more (an 907 and a 908) in the 'works' for other modelers.

In all cases I have found that removing the boiler and cab from the mechanism is the first step. That way you can work from the insider of the boiler.

Depending on when the model was mfg. the sand dome will either pop out with pressure, or, it will need to be 'cut out' with an eXacto knife. The older runs of the 'DCC ready' (pre 'DCC On Board') seem to release their sand dome more readily. The newer runs require some patient cutting work with an eXacto knife, but eventually the dome can be removed.

It appears to me (this just my personal uneducated judgment) that most of the Bachmann Spectrum parts could be 'press fit', but the folks who actually assembled them were not hesitant to use some glue (from the inside) to hold the various parts.

This makes dissassembling more of a challenge. I think someone mentioned using acetone to help in releasing the parts, but don't take my word for that because I haven't tired that method.

For me it has been 'pressure' from the insider pushing the part out, or, the good 'ole eXacto knife method.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Stephen, where do you live?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

;D Hi Gene,

I live in heart of Dixie Central Mississippi about 45 miles north of Vicksburg. Not to far off the old Yazoo and Mississippi Valley mainline to Yazoo City.Look on Google maps for Bentonia,MS you wont find much but thats where I  hang my hat. once was a booming sawmill town now the sawmill is gone and so is the siding my grandfather helped to build along with the 2nd Depot there after someone blew up the first one trying to rob the safe.

Stephen

palmettoLTD82

Gentlemen,

Does anyone know the smokebox diameter (in scale inches) of the Spectrum 2-8-0?  Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

Buddy Hill

Orsonroy

Quote from: palmettoLTD82 on July 31, 2007, 06:09:51 PM
Gentlemen,

Does anyone know the smokebox diameter (in scale inches) of the Spectrum 2-8-0?  Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

Buddy Hill

81 inches.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

palmettoLTD82

lanny

Ray,

Is 81" boiler front the correct diameter for the 1200 - 1500 series ICRR mikes and the 1100 series ICRR pacifics?

Thanks!

lanny nicolet

Orsonroy

Yup. When I measured out the Bachmann 2-8-0 a few months ago, Brad asked about it's use in a 2-8-2 conversion (which is how we all got started down THAT path!). I compared the model measurements I took with the IC Mike diagrams, and found out that they were a VERY good match for the first three courses of the boiler (and the running gear, which is also dead-on).

That's why I now suspect that the 942 series engines were really Harriman-Standard heavy Consolidations. Their dimensions match the IC's Harriman Mikes too perfectly (and the IC's Mikes were Harriman heavies, apparently).
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny