News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay cab removal

Started by darryl1936, March 06, 2011, 05:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

Sorry but I looked at couldn't find an answer in archives so here goes, how does one get the cab off the two truck shay ?  I'm at the three tabs but hate to break one of those off as they look real stiff.   HELP.....

TOF in Hawaii

Tomcat

hi there!

Look for the two tiny little screws underneath the cab - they´r close to the backside from the cab and secure it to the floor. Undo these, then pry with extra care, sometimes the cabs don´t come off that easy. Look for the little lugs, you don´t want to break them. And take extra care for the piping which goes into the cab from front. This is flexible stuff, but take this off first.

Cheers, Tom

darryl1936

Hey Tom

I did take the screws out but now I'm looking at the three lugs.  It looks like one by it's self should be pushed in so the cab could come off ? I suppose it wouldn't matter if one of the lugs broke off ?

TOF in Hawaii

darryl1936

Case solved.  After the three screws holding the cab were removed and some of the plumbing removed, I put a clamp on the sides of the cab near the tabs. Slowly tightening the clamp, the tab on one side moved in far enough to be in the opening to drop through. Little bit of wiggling and the cab came off.  Hurray..    Oh !  Someone might like to know why I wanted the cab off ?  I am using a T-2101 Wood Long Cab from Banta Model Works.  Back dates the engine quite a bit.

TOF in Hawaii

Tomcat

Hi there Darryl,

sorry for my delay. Yeah-that´s the way to do it. And you can go "forward" in time too when you add a closed cab from my dear friend Bill Banta´s range. I did this and added a cut off (I had two obsolete ones...) tender body from a 2-8-0 and voila: A "modern"  looking T-Boiler comes out. Add a more "chunky" Stack and a new logging animal is born... =)

Cheers, Tom

darryl1936

Hey Tom

I have several new cab kits from Banta to backdate or change all of my other B-man engines.  Might change two Davenports into one larger one as in the latest magazine I received. Hardly run trains as I build buildings and modify engines. Many projects in the fire.

TOF in Hawaii