News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New life for an old big hauler

Started by Mark Oles, March 07, 2011, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

I recieved a bachmann Plus 4-6-0 a number of years as a birthday present.  It saw some use and eventually, I overloaded it and it stripped a gear.  Since I had a number of other priorities, I didn't bother sending it to Bachmann for repair/replacement.  But I did put it back in the box and put it in to deep storage. 

Fast forward, I have a 3 year old who likes to push my freight cars around the track.  I've gotten him some cheaper G scale train sets that are really not great toys.  I was chatting with a friend about getting him a locomotive at the upcoming ECLSTS.  My buddy suggested that I get him a scratch and dent 0-4-0 and take the motor out.  That's when I remembered the broken Big Hauler.  So, Thursday night,  I opened up the old BH and removed the busted gear.  Put it all back together and viola! Instant push train. 

We spent the whole weekend pushing that old big hauler around the basement.  Hate to say it, but I think the engine ran better and sounded better than it had when it was a motorized unit!! I didn't do any long term damage so with a new gear, this engine could run again.  Thanks, Bachmann!