News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traction tires

Started by Highballin, March 10, 2011, 01:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highballin

What exactly are TRACTION TIRES on a locomotive? 

Doneldon

Highball-

Traction tires are like rubber bands which fit around a pair of drivers on a locomotive to significantly increase the adhesion between the wheels and the rail. The wheels which hold them have shallow radial grooves to keep the tires from sliding off sideways during use. Traction tires do wear out and require replacement from time to time. It's certainly possible to replace a traction tire driver with a regular axle and wheels, and all models, to my knowledge, are sold with extra wheelsets for those who wish to do so.

Some model rails dismiss traction tires as non-prototypical or an unwanted hassle. I guess they are non-prototypical but one could see them as a substitute for sand which was/is a traction supplement. The hassle value is something everyone needs to decide for him- or herself. Steam engines generally have just one axle with traction tires; diesels may have them on one axle or one axle per truck.
                                                                                                             -- D

Highballin

Quote from: Doneldon on March 10, 2011, 02:25:40 AM
Highball-

Traction tires are like rubber bands which fit around a pair of drivers on a locomotive to significantly increase the adhesion between the wheels and the rail. The wheels which hold them have shallow radial grooves to keep the tires from sliding off sideways duringuse.

Okay, I know what you're talking about.  I had an old LIFELIKE engine once that had those on it. I thought that may be what they were but wasn't sure. Thanks a lot, D

Highballin