News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parallel track with #6 turnout

Started by whizamit, March 11, 2011, 03:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whizamit

Hello,

I am trying to a branch line connection to my main line using #6 turnouts to get a layout like this.

================
        /                                    \
==========================

I assume i need to curved track sections to hook up to both the #6 turnouts and then use straight sections to join the top part.

Any suggestions on what kind of curved section is needed? i think it might be 1/3 of 18 inch curve or 1/2 of 22 inch curve.

Thanks

Joe Satnik

Dear Whiz,

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14693.0.html

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13230.0.html

Long story short, 18"R-10 degree is close on the degrees, but way too short on the radius.  Cut your own from a longer radius curve, or Atlas flex track and cork.  

One other caveat, one of the links above has a reply that says the straight track (small fitter) assortment is not yet available.  

Time has passed and they are now in stock in various places (on-line, magazine ad or local hobby shop [LHS] ).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

Took a shot at it with RR-Track, and this combination appears to work for making a passing siding with #6 turnouts with four 9in straights between them:

Cut two 10deg arcs out of a 22in radius curve. A full piece has a 22.25deg arc, so the pieces would be a little shorter than a 1/2 section. Use one on each of the turnout diverging legs to bring them back parallel with the main.

The passing track is made up of the following straight sections:

9.00in - 2
4.50in - 1
2.25in - 1
2.00in - 1
1.50in - 1

Once you have the basic configuration, you can add additional straights to the main and passing tracks as needed. Just use the same additional pieces with both.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Len-

A minor detail but a 22" radius curve has 22.5o of curvature.

-- D

Jerrys HO

what about Bachmanns crossover turnouts

Len

Quote from: Doneldon on March 11, 2011, 09:48:34 PM
Len-

A minor detail but a 22" radius curve has 22.5o of curvature.

-- D

Oooops! Typing too fast and got an extra '2' in there.

You still chop the one piece into 2 pieces with 10deg arcs though.

Back when I was doing an early layout, I took a piece of poster board and drew 15, 18, 22in radius quarter circles on it with a yard stick "beam compass". Then I drew lines from the center point outward every 5deg of arc.

If I needed a 15deg 22in radius section, I'd lay it on the appropriate curve, line up the center line, and mark the cut location, and chop it off. I thought about adding additional arc lines, but it's easy enough to 'eyeball' the inbetween locations if you needed a 13deg arc section.

With plastic roadbed track I cut through the plastic with a 52TPI Zona saw, then snip the rails with a Xuron track cutter. This leaves minimal clean up to be done with a small file.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jerrys HO

thanks Joe I thought I had a solution thats why you are here. I am new to HO had small O scale layout and got really bored with it. HO is more challenging. Stick around I may be needing alot of advice myself. Those were excellent links by the way.

Joe Satnik

Jerry,

You're welcome.

Glad I could help.

Joe

BradKT

Try working it out using anyrail.com.  You can work out track issues using 50 pieces of track or less with a free program.  You can work it out using Bachmann track, Atlas track, or whatever.