News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

just getting started

Started by earl, March 13, 2011, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl

I have just gotten started.  Purchased EZ track, DCC control center.  Is it possible to buy an engine which employs smoke, sound and lights made by bachmann. (or is this a bad idea)  I want to stick to bachmann to keep it uniform.  I am a senior.  I have their catalog 2011.  A 5"-6" long locomotive would be best for my 4x8 layout.  I am using a used 51501 HO prarie with smoke (which quit smoking) at this time.  This is a nice length.

Pacific Northern

With a 4' x 8' layout I would recommend the Spectrum 4-6-0 steamer. You can get this with sound. As to smoke you will soon find out that most members of this forum do not recommend it. Other than a couple of standard line steam engines you will not find smoke available on any of the Spectrum engines.

The 4-6-0 steamer was used in Canada right to the end of steam. It was a most versatile locomotive pulling either freight or passenger consists.

You have a choice of the high or low boiler models.

I have a few of these engines and they are by far my favorite steamer.
Pacific Northern

ACY

If you want smoke and DCC sound be prepared to pay big $$$, I'm talking around $500 for some MTH and BLI locos. If you want a loco that already has DCC smoke and sound at a minimum you would be paying $400. I suggest forgetting about the smoke, but ultimately it is your call.

jward

one thing to remember is that HO trains are made to NMRA standards. therefore, any dcc equipped locomootive will work with your command station. the same goes with cars, any cars equipped with knuckle type couplers will work with your trains. note that in this instance, older cars and locomotives often have a different style of coupler that is not compatable with the current style. if you do purchase any of these, you'll have to convert the couplers. but my main point is, if you see something you like that is a different brand, it will still work with your trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

earl

thank you for your help and that of all the other nice railroaders who replied.  I have decided to get a 4-6-0 and forego the smoke.  I already broke the smoke system on the used 2-6-2 prairie I purchased and am going to try to fix it with a new smoke unit.  interesting thought.

Doneldon

earl-

I predict you'll be happy with your ten-wheeler. They are pretty nice locos and an almost universal loco on North American railroads, even up to the end of steam. You can't argue with success and this was one of the most successful of all steam engines built.
                                                                                            -- D