Spectrum Dynamis -help program Atlas Dash 8-40CW w/NCE factory decoder

Started by fredsmi, March 15, 2011, 06:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredsmi

I have the basic Dynamis system so I can not read CV's, but I can program them.

I am trying to change the locomotive address from address 03 to something different.  The locomotive runs fine at address 03 on DCC, but will not accept a new address.  Also, I can reset the decoder, but cannot change the address.

I have had extensive conversations with Atlas, NCE and Bachmann, but we did not get a fix.

Also, I have programmed (changed address) on several Digitrax, Lenz, TCS, MRC and whatever decoder comes in a Bachmann 44 tonner; but this is the only NCE I have and the only one that has given me any trouble.

One other thing that might not help, but, how the ditch lights function via F2 changed with the first reset so they no longer blink (now they only turn on and off with F2).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

fredsmi

Thanks Hunt, resetting the CV's is doable and so is taking the locomotive off the track, but it will not take a 4 digit address.  That is the problem. 

I will try your suggestions again, including setting CV 29 to 38, but if my memory is correct I have done all these by myself and again when I was on the phone with NCE.  NCE said I did not have to do the power recycle, but I had done it because the directions instruct it to be done.

Again, thanks.  Any other thoughts???

fredsmi

Thanks again Hunt.  Yea, I've been thinking about that.  With the exception of a LHS I do not know a single soul that does trains here in Charlotte.  The LHS does have a Powercab though so they can probably help with that.  Again, thanks.

fredsmi

Thanks Again.  That link is helpful and seems clear enough that I will try it on my own.  Thanks for the offer.  I have always put in the number from the locomotive so I don't know the values for CV's 17 & 18 yet (I don't know the loco # and am not home), but I see why you and NCE had me try value 38 in CV29.  Good stuff ...  :)

fredsmi

I guess I'm going to have to find another DCC system and try program it because nothing worked (except address 03) last night.  It will not take any programming on the service track or on the main track.  It works fine on address 03, but I was unable to notice any difference after changing CVs.  For example, changing 29, 17 & 18 did not affect it.  Also, changing CV 2 to 0, 50 or 127 did not change how it throttles (creeps at 8/28 after reset and after changing CV2 to those 3 values).

Just to check myself, I put some other locomotives on the track and was able to program them.  For example, I successfully changed the direction setting on a Kato Alco with a Digitrax decoder by changing CV29 to 39 (from 38) and changed CV2 so it will creep on 1/28 throttle up.  Also, I successfully set CV2 on other Digitrax decoders to get  the creep on 1/28 throttle up.  I started to change CV2 on a TCS decoder in a Spectrum 2-8-0, but it creeps fine (because I think I already set it).

Point is, I am able to program Digitrax and have changed addresses on  TCS, Lenz, and MRC ... this NCE in the Atlas works only on address 03 and will not change and will not accept CV values.

Do I need a special track, with a resistor or something? Or a locomotive on the track?

fredsmi

And again, thank you very much.  You posts, link and encouragement to learn it on my own helped me pay better attention.  I appreciate that.  When I changed the direction on my Alco last night I did the math myself.  Without your comment I probably would have just used the calculator.  I found two other internet threads where this same problem happened on this locomotive with Digitrax systems and the locos were returned as defective.

I will probably try LHS's PowerCab before I make that decision.