News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie question

Started by Luvmykid322, March 11, 2011, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luvmykid322

Hello, I just purchased my N scale Acela set and have laid out a simple oval track. I was planning on adding a turnout so that I could have an additional train parked while running the other. I didn't want to run both trains at the same time. I'm using the ez track if that helps and I also have an additional Bachmann controller at my disposal. What would I need to accomplish this?

ACY

Bachmann turnouts are power-routing so all you would need is two turnouts for the passing track.

Doneldon

Iknow,weallluvourkids-

If I understand your question, you want to be able to run one train while keeping a second train on a spur or siding. There are two ways to do this. One is to electrically separate sections of track from one another but provide each with a switched electrical supply so you can turn the power to that track section on and off. You'll actually need at least three such sections so you can change from one train to the other without having both running at the same time. You can use simple on/off switches for this or double throw switches (either single- or double-pole, depending on whether you want to use a common rail wiring scheme and one or both of your power packs). This is called block control and it was state-of-the-art wiring in model railroading for decades. However, there is another way to do this which is more versatile but also more expensive.

This is called DCC or Digital Command Control. With DCC, you use an electronic controller instead of a power pack. This controller keeps full power on the rails but controls the trains by sending coded electrical signals to pc boards inside of each loco. For example, one loco could be told to move clockwise around your oval layout while the other is told to wait at a station or move up a branch line. This system, which uses a transformer to step down the wall current to model railroad levels, a controller which is where you interface with the system (roughly analogous to your conventional power pack) and a booster which amplifies the electronic messages, costs more than a power pack, probably around $60-80 for the least expensive (and least powerful and versatile) Bachmann EZ DCC system. In addition to the DCC system, each loco requires an on-board decoder (the pc board) which translates the electronic messages into commands for the loco's speed and direction, as well as things such as lights and sounds. These cost anywhere from about $15 to well over $100, depending on their capability, versatility, manufacturer and whether they include sound. You an certainly dabble with an entry-level system like the EZ DCC and then upgrade to a more elaborate one if you decide that fits your interests. The EZ DCC has enough power to run several N-scale locos so that's not a consideration.

In theory, at least, DCC is a bit simpler to wire than block control (also called cab control) but that's really only a minor consideration. And any block control wiring can still be used with DCC so it won't be completely wasted effort. I've heard block control described as driving the rails, since what you really do is control the polarity and intensity of the electricity there, and DCC described as actually driving the train. I suppose that's true to a point, and it is a good way to keep the differences between the control methods separate in your mind.

Only you can decide which way makes more sense for your interests although you may receive some responses on this board which will try to make your decision for you. So take in the information and opinions and make up your own mind. One thing I can assure you of is that you and your children will find model trains to be a fun and mutual experience together which both (or all?) of you will never forget.
                                                                              -- D

Tedshere

Thank you both!! Thanks luvmykids for asking the question. And thankyou Donaldon for your complete and concise and easy to understand answer. It's another of your answers that any of us newbies can understand and learn from.    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Doneldon

Ted-

You are more than welcome. And thank you for your kind comment.

-- D