News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fixing Old Stock

Started by albany gunzel, March 17, 2011, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albany gunzel

Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse me If I am repeating something already talked about. I have been collecting N Scale rollingstock and locos since they first hit the shelves where I live in the early 1970`s. Since then I have amassed over 700 items a large proportion being Bachmann made. It seems time is now taking its toll on many of the locomotives especially with the drive gears, many of them now splitting. I know this is a common problem especially with the gears which attach to the drive wheels.
Is there some way to glue these gears back together, I have tried many adhesives over the years with little or no luck. I believe Bachmann do not keep a stock of the various size gears for to long after the loco etc has been released. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy replacement gears from elsewhere, it would be ashame if the loco could no longer be used and relegated to a display case.
My current problem is with my TGV sets, I have two and for some reason both of the power units are now showing signs of the gear which attaches to the wheel splitting which causes the other gears to stick and in one case the drive shaft broke.  I would dearly love to keep these units running, has anyone got any suggestions of help in either fixing or replacing these gears. My thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

jsanchez

You might want to contact North West Shore lines.  http://www.nwsl.com/
They specialize in gear replacements and repowering units for engines. I think they can even custom make parts.

Good luck,
Jim
www.pamodelrsupply.com