how can you make tyco train cars better looking ???

Started by rrmchone, March 17, 2011, 08:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrmchone

i have a few old tyco cars   as we all know tyco wasn't  exactly the greatest material to have on a model railroad     but    i am planning to take the next step and see if i can modify these cars with kadee couplers and hopefully something else to make these cars look a tad better on my layout    im just tired of the nasty plastic look             

does anyone know what i could do to make these cars meet the NMRA standards?

jonathan

Here's what I have done to old cars.  They are worth it for sentimental value. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy new cars.

1.  Along with new couplers, adding some metal wheels helps.  Depending on how the trucks are made, you can substitute the plastic wheels with Intermountain, Kadee, Atlas, or any number of metal wheels.  Typically freight cars use 33" wheels, but there are some exceptions.

2.  Weight is important for good tracking.  NMRA standards say a car should weigh 1 ounce plus 1/2 ounce for every inch of length.  A 40' box car should weigh somewhere in the 4 ounce range.  If you can open up your cars, glue in some nuts and bolts, or pennies, to get a little more heft.  Doesn't have to cost anything but some good glue or epoxy.

3.  Are your cars shiny?  A spritz of dullcote will help older cars fit in with the newer stuff.  Weathering is a personal taste thing.  I prefer to weather the wheels and trucks, and add very little to the car body.

4.  Superdetailing is probably a little too much work for these old cars.  Just a personal opinion.  However, if it's worth it to you, you could cut, shave, or sand off the molded on details, get out some music wire and start adding stirrup steps, grab irons, etc.  Now you're into drilling, bending and painting.

Just some ideas.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

if you want to get away from the shiny plastic look, repaint them. who needs a shazam boxcar anyway?.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Quote from: jward on March 17, 2011, 09:09:41 AM
if you want to get away from the shiny plastic look, repaint them. who needs a shazam boxcar anyway?.......

Many of the old Tyco cars actually have reasonably accurate paint schemes. In fact, there were a couple I've never seen anyone else do. And it's easy enough to strip, paint, and reletter the few that aren't.

Some new trucks, body mount couplers, a bit if dull-coat, and some weathering can result in some nice cars for the layout. If you want to get real fancy, there are books around, and articles on the web, on superdetailing 'Blue Box' Athearn freight car kits. The same techniques would apply to old Tyco cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jward on March 17, 2011, 09:09:41 AM
Who needs a shazam boxcar anyway?.......

Indeed. Of course, Batman would be another matter altogether. ...  ;)

ACY

Which Shazam were you referring to:
The Marvel Comic Superhero

or Good Ole Gomer (Jim Neighbors)

Doneldon

RR Mac-

The suggestions others have made are all good ones. I'll still add my two cents.

Critically evaluate your cars to see just what you have. Are they cheap, plastic cars with very little merit or are they Tyco's better products like the metal freight cars, many of which had excellent paint schemes which are neat but unavailable from other manufacturers? Can you make the cars operational for the cost of new trucks (or at least wheelsets), couplers and weights? Has someone gone over them with paint in an attempt to make them look "better?" By that I mean a kid, probably, who tried to make details like ladders, hinges and grab irons stand out by using a contrasting color. If so, you'll either have to paint over, not necessarily a good thing if you don't want to obscure details, or strip and repaint. Can you find the decals you want if you do a repaint, and what will they cost?

Last, critically assess yourself! Do you have the necessary skills or the desire to learn those skills? Are you able to tolerate being disappointed when your first few efforts look like first efforts at learning new skills? Do you have the time, anywhere from a half hour to several hours per car, to do the work or would you rather spend your time doing something else? Would you be just as happy removing the mechanicals, adding a window or two and turning a car into line side storage? Do the cars in question have sentimental value such that no amount of time or money would be too much to invest? It's easy to decide to bring older rolling stock up to date but much harder to actually do it, and often at least as expensive as buying new. It's also easy to view the question as merely one of time and money, but your own inclinations and interests are just as important when you are considering what can be a big job if more than a couple of cars are involved.

Whatever you decide, have fun with your trains and make sure your decision is your own. Some folks on here might imply that you're a fool to do this, or not to, but they are mistaken. You are the expert on your situation.
                                                                                                                                             -- D

jward

Quote from: ACY on March 17, 2011, 02:14:30 PM
Which Shazam were you referring to:
The Marvel Comic Superhero

that's the one. tyco was notorious for its line of super hero cars, along with having cars for many products on grocery store shelves. coca cola tank car, old dutch cleanser covered hopper, etc......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

Life-Like still makes cheap Train sets advertising at least Shop Rite (A Northeast Grocery Store Chain).  They come out as "Collectors editions" for about $25 each year at Christmas.  I would say that "collecting" dust is about what their worth to the Model RR crowd but I figure that maybe 50 years from now they'll be worth something.

Len

For anyone interested in some background on Tyco and what they produced, this site has quite a bit of useful info:

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains/

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.