Returnee Character Discussion Thread

Started by TrainFan97, December 11, 2016, 11:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

The official thread to discuss returnee characters in the show.

In Blown Away, Duck doesn't even mention the Great Western, for once.

Daisy has been having much more screen time than she's EVER had in the model series. Having THREE starring roles in the same season, although Ryan and Daisy focused mostly on Ryan.

Oliver still has yet to get a starring role since his return. Toad has enough.

Love Me Tender was the first time Donald and Douglas had starring roles since Season 7, Bad Day at Castle Loch.

Bill and Ben have been well-developed and they can really make an episode funny with their pranks and occasional bickering.

Can't wait to see more of Duncan's stubbornness.

Harvey had some decent roles, though he could use more.

BoCo still has yet to return. Seriously, it's taking forever. We just want BoCo back already! He hasn't appeared since Season 5. I have an idea. If they make a new episode about BoCo, they can bring up the fact that he hasn't been seen in such a long time, like how Duck greeted Donald and Douglas in Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, or Judy and Jerome in The Missing Breakdown Train with the fact that they hadn't been used since Rocky arrived.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Duck's "great western way" never bothered me, honestly.  He would even bring up the GWR on occasion in both early TV series and Railway Series, it's what Duck's character has been from the get-go.  I think Brenner handled him well since he returned in season 17 and that this is the best treatment he has had since season 5.

I definitely agree with the rest of the other points you brought up with the other returning characters.  I can see why they have had fun with writing episodes about Toad, but at the same time Oliver desperately needs his own episode already.  

Personally I am not picky with who the next returning character is, or even the next RWS character they introduce to the show, as long as they bring the character in a way that feels natural and brings story potential, like they have done so far, I am open it.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

WilsonProductions2

I'm glad really that Duck, Oliver, Toad and Daisy are coming back has regular engines again. I am not bothered really how many times they are getting roles, though I must admit, I knew that Daisy was coming back with a speaking role in Series 20, but I never thought it would be as many times she has done, so far this series!

Donald and Douglas could have more speaking roles. One episode with them having a speaking role (Love Me Tender) and few cameos isn't much really. Maybe Daisy could had some of her roles taken off her and given to Donald and Douglas instead. However, if Donald and Douglas so not re-appear for the few last episodes of Series 20 to be shown, let's hor that Donald and Douglas get a regular speaking role in Series 21, just like Daisy has in Series 20.

sean1994rail

Quote from: Chaz on December 12, 2016, 12:51:39 AM
Duck's "great western way" never bothered me, honestly.  He would even bring up the GWR on occasion in both early TV series and Railway Series, it's what Duck's character has been from the get-go.  I think Brenner handled him well since he returned in season 17 and that this is the best treatment he has had since season 5.

I definitely agree with the rest of the other points you brought up with the other returning characters.  I can see why they have had fun with writing episodes about Toad, but at the same time Oliver desperately needs his own episode already.  

Personally I am not picky with who the next returning character is, or even the next RWS character they introduce to the show, as long as they bring the character in a way that feels natural and brings story potential, like they have done so far, I am open it.
maybe they should have Duck and Emily together in an episode, especially a sequel episode to Duck and the Slip Coaches where both succeed in getting-a-berth-each-in-you-know-what-sheds, A.K.A. Tidmouth Sheds. and maybe BoCo is to return in Season 20, they must be leaving him as a surprise.

WilsonProductions2

^ That's a good idea. I also think that Donald, Douglas and Oliver should get their own birth at Tidmouth Sheds, so then Tidmouth Sheds houses Engines 1 - 11 and Emily. 12 Engines all together!

I'll confirm this now with Sir Topham Hatt and book an extension of Tidmouth Sheds, with the Sodor Constrution Company!

donaldthescottishtwin

I'd really like both Murdoch and Molly to return, they both actually had a personality Murdoch was a gentle giant engines would be both in awe of him and fear him slightly because of his size. And Molly has an inferiorit complex and you want her to succeed and feel good about herself, also any female character that gives Emily less screen time/based episodes is alright in my book.

As far as RWS characters i'd really like Bear, Wilbert and the Culdee fell railway engines to be introduced. As I kid I was always disappointed these characters never made it to the TV series. But if I had my way every character from the books would be involved with the TV series.

WilsonProductions2

^ I agree with you! Bear being put in the TV series would brilliant, so would there turn of Murdoch and Molly. I also want Arthur to return to the TV series as well.

MeganekkoFury1126

I agree that most of the returnees have been handled very, very well. But yes...still waiting for that Oliver episode, guys...

I'm not very strict if they bring another RWS exclusive character to the small screen, but if they brought an existing character back, I'd lean towards Stepney. I was always a Stepney fan, as I did love most of his episodes like Bowled Out and Train Stops Play, and if he did come back, it'd be the perfect opportunity to fix his background like it was in the Railway Series, similar to how they introduced the Flying Scotsman in the Great Race.

But if they brought a TV series exclusive character back, I again would vote for Molly. I know I've said this before, but I still stand firm on my feelings. Her prototype looked fantastic, her yellow paint stands out (especially for a tender engine), and she'd be the perfect shy/insecure character to allow good stories. She could easily work alongside Edward on his branch line.

sean1994rail

Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on December 12, 2016, 12:49:06 PM
^ I agree with you! Bear being put in the TV series would brilliant, so would there turn of Murdoch and Molly. I also want Arthur to return to the TV series as well.
Maybe Bear's growl can be used to convey his sometimes short temper, if the writing team portrays him that way along with his otherwise loyal, friendly persona. Also, If they do introduce Bear to the TV Series, I predict his theme tune will be a remix of 'The Bare Necessities' from The Jungle Book.

TrainFan97

Another character that desperately needs to return is Duke. He never appeared after Season 4, because they used his model to make Bertram, a very pointless character.

Would be nice to see Sir Handel and Peter Sam calling him "Granpuff" again. Would bring back memories. And, the narrator stating the fact that Sir Handel and Peter Sam were formerly Falcon and Stuart. Maybe even a recreated CGI flashback of Mid-Sodor moments.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

donaldthescottishtwin

Agreed Dukes return is long over due. On the subject of Bertram I fell he could become a very interesting character if used and developed correctly, it's been established he is very brave so there's something to work with already I can see him being the main character in horror based episodes.

Duke

Quote from: TrainFan97 on December 16, 2016, 05:15:34 PM
Another character that desperately needs to return is Duke. He never appeared after Season 4, because they used his model to make Bertram, a very pointless character.

Would be nice to see Sir Handel and Peter Sam calling him "Granpuff" again. Would bring back memories. And, the narrator stating the fact that Sir Handel and Peter Sam were formerly Falcon and Stuart. Maybe even a recreated CGI flashback of Mid-Sodor moments.
What!!!
Is that the whole reason why we haven't seen him since season 4. Because of a microscopic character that was on screen for a couple of seconds never to be seen again. Ridiculous   :'(
I wish bouth he and BoCo could come back. Two off my alltime favorites
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty