News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rre: NCE decoder

Started by gtwfan, March 19, 2011, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtwfan

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on an NCE decoder installation. I have an HO Bachmann GP38-2 that is "DCC ready". I am impressed with the detailing and paint on the locomotive (CN livery), but not so impressed with the running characteristics. The engine is jerky at low speeds and the motor hums and buzzes at any speed. Soooo, I purchased an NCE "Bach-DSL V3.5 replacement decoder that is supposed to improve running and noise issues. The instructions said to remove the three capacitors on the motor (which I did) and solder the supplied LED front and rear lights to the new board (also did). I then soldered the truck and motor wire to the new board, then tried running it on the layout (after first powering it up on the programming track, also per NCE directions). However, upon placing the engine on the layout, there was a brief "bzzzt" and my command station (I'm using a Lenz system with an LH100 to program and an LH90 to operate with) shut down and indicated a short :-[. I then tried putting "black tape" between the motor and the chassis to make sure it was insulated, but same result, a short. Has anyone else done this replacement and am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any advice.     Gerry S.

jward

probably the best advice i can give regarding installing ANY decoder is to carefully checque your work with an ohmmeter BEFORE you apply track power. when doing installations. i checque the locomotive for continuity (the ohms scale on the meter) every time i solder a wire. at each step of the way, things that should be connected together will read as low resistance (0  ohms, or a similar reading) and those that are supposed to be isolated from each other  will read as infinite resistance (1999 k ohms or similar reading).....at every step of the way, opposite wheels should read as an open circuit. if they don't, stop right there and try to figure out why......

it is also best to only install the red-black and orange-grey wire pairs at first, then test run the locomotive. red-black wires are the track pickups, and orange-grey are the motor connections. the locomotive should run with just these 4 wires connected. after you have determined the locomotive is running, then go back and connect the lights....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA