News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-Z track 22 " R inner oval

Started by Ianw, March 19, 2011, 01:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianw

Creating a parallel inner loop  to an 18 R oval is simple: std  LH turnout - 4 x 18"R curve tracks - std RH turnout.

I want to create the same configuration for a 22 " R oval. I mistakenly bought a pair of (expensive) E-Z track #5 turnouts expecting to achieve what I want by a #5 LH turnout - 6 X 18"R curve tracks- #5 RH turnout. Well, I quickly learned that this doesn't work for an 8 x 4 layout; my assumptions concerning the geometry of an E-Z track #5 turnout were completely wrong.

I have seen copious discussions in this form concerning solving the problems of mixed-mode 18R and 22R layouts, none of which provides the simple configuration I am looking for.

I have two questions:
1. Is there a Bachmann E-Z track (or any other compatible brand) turnout which will provide the 22R inner parallel semi-circle that I described above?
2. If the answer to "1" id "No", what would be the best solution, preferably not including embedded 18R sections of track?

Thanks

OldTimer

Atlas makes a 22 inch radius "Snap Switch" in both their True-Track (with roadbed) and Snap Track (no roadbed) product lines.  The down side for EZ Track users is that the Atlas parts are only available with code 83 rail.  Atlas also makes transition rail joiners to connect code 83 to code 100 rail.  You can find the Atlas web site here:

www.atlasrr.com

Hope this helps.
OldTimer
'
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe Satnik

Dear Ian,

Curved turntouts (track switches) take up less space than numbered turnouts. 

Atlas should have released a 22"R version of their 18"R (curved) "Snap Switch" 45 years ago.  No clue what took them so long.     

Here is a reprint of an earlier post on HO EZ-Track #5 turnouts:

Most people try to make an "Early Cutoff" configuration with a L & R turnout pair. 

(L divergent route, buncha left curves, R divergent route, train now headed opposite direction on other side of oval.)

With my newer #5 turnout measurements, this recipe is not quite as accurate as I once thought, but may work well enough to not derail trains. 

It is too wide, however, to fit on a 4' x 8' sheet.  (51" fence to fence width needed.)

L divergent route #5
3 ea. 22"R curves (all curves turn to left)
2 ea. 22"R half curves*
(*Two half curves allow expandability in layout width, substitute one regular 22"R curve if expandability not desired. )
3 ea. 22"R curves
R divergent route #5

L main route #5
4 ea. 22"R curves (all curves turn to left)
1 ea. 3" straight (3-1/4" is closer, math wise, could be pieced together with 2-1/4" and 1" fitter straights)
4 ea. 22"R curves
R main route #5

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

uncbob

I had an 18 and 22 with a  crossover on my 4 x 9 1/2 using Atlas code 100
I took it down and went with an around the walls 6 1/2--9 1/2

I switched to Atlas code 83 and now have a 22 and 24

Here is a pic of the original 18-22