Thomas on Atlas code100 snap track

Started by revrik, March 19, 2011, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revrik

I am new to model railroading. I had Lionel O27 as a kid but now that I am retired I want a real train layout and am going HO. I also have a new grandson so I bought Thomas Fun With Freight set. My plan is to use Thomas around the Christmas tree until he gets old enough to play with it. My plan is to let him run his train on grandpa's layout. I have done some test runs on old stuff I acquired from a friend and Thomas jumps track when going over an Atlas brass code83 snap switch turnout. I have seen people say to grind the flanges on Thomas' wheels ro to modify the turnouts, etc.

I say all that to lead to this question.

I am planning on using Atlas code100 track snap track for my layout but am concerned about Thomas jumping off rail at the turnouts. Has anyone used Atlas code100 snap track snap switch turnouts to run Thomas? How successful was it? Any modifications needed to Thomas, the turnouts, etc.?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read and answer.

Rick

BTW - I know that Atlas code83 snap track is more prototypical but I am concerned about being able to run some vintage HO equipment and heard that code100 track is easier to use with older cars and engine.

JD417

nothing will need to be altered you should have no issue whatsoever "playing" with thomas on the atlas track  :)

shining time

i have and i never had that problem except for the christmas one but i fix it other than that no
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

PerfectPercy

Quote from: revrik on March 19, 2011, 10:04:41 AM
I am new to model railroading. I had Lionel O27 as a kid but now that I am retired I want a real train layout and am going HO. I also have a new grandson so I bought Thomas Fun With Freight set. My plan is to use Thomas around the Christmas tree until he gets old enough to play with it. My plan is to let him run his train on grandpa's layout. I have done some test runs on old stuff I acquired from a friend and Thomas jumps track when going over an Atlas brass code83 snap switch turnout. I have seen people say to grind the flanges on Thomas' wheels ro to modify the turnouts, etc.

I am planning on using Atlas code100 track snap track for my layout but am concerned about Thomas jumping off rail at the turnouts. Has anyone used Atlas code100 snap track snap switch turnouts to run Thomas? How successful was it? Any modifications needed to Thomas, the turnouts, etc.?

Rick

BTW - I know that Atlas code83 snap track is more prototypical but I am concerned about being able to run some vintage HO equipment and heard that code100 track is easier to use with older cars and engine.

I have been using HO Atlas Code 100 from the beginning. I have had no problems with it. In fact I basically prefer it. In terms of being prototypical or not, is apples to oranges. It looks good either way. I have noticed that quite a bit more is available for Code 100 anyway. I have had no problems with any of my Thomas engines on Code 100 track and switches. Technically, the only Atlas Code 100 snap track I use is the switches. I prefer flex-track and I will with little doubt always use it.

My only small concern is that if you ever expand your grandson's train collection into the larger engines, their bogies tend to jump switches a bit if you get them flying at max. speed. Hopefully, you won't do that. I also say to back the engines as slow speeds, especially tender engines, because the tender's wheels on most Thomas engines are fragile in this case. The tender almost always derails unless you are at a decent backing speed.

I wish the best to you with your modelling future.

ThomasFan247

The problem can possibly be that the switch was a different code than the other tracks used. I have that problem on my layout with the crossover from Atlas code 83 to Bachmann code 100.

Hornbyfan

Anthony P2

Quote from: PerfectPercy on March 19, 2011, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: revrik on March 19, 2011, 10:04:41 AM

Rick

I have been using HO Atlas Code 100 from the beginning. I have had no problems with it. In fact I basically prefer it. In terms of being prototypical or not, is apples to oranges. It looks good either way. I have noticed that quite a bit more is available for Code 100 anyway. I have had no problems with any of my Thomas engines on Code 100 track and switches. Technically, the only Atlas Code 100 snap track I use is the switches. I prefer flex-track and I will with little doubt always use it.

My only small concern is that if you ever expand your grandson's train collection into the larger engines, their bogies tend to jump switches a bit if you get them flying at max. speed. Hopefully, you won't do that. I also say to back the engines as slow speeds, especially tender engines, because the tender's wheels on most Thomas engines are fragile in this case. The tender almost always derails unless you are at a decent backing speed.

I wish the best to you with your modelling future.

i used to have that problem with my points. i switched to hornby ones because i thought they were better than atlas. they work perfectly, and the engines don't derail!  :D

jward

atlas track is very well made and you should have few problems. the biggest problem i can see is the use of the 18" radius snap switches. these are not goot performers regardless of who makes them, due to their geometry. you'd be much better off using atlas #4 or #6 switches. the 4s don't take up much more room than the snap switches, and work much better.

did you know atlas offers a free download of track planning software on their web site? you can design your own layout, and know exactly what you need, and the space required to set it up.....

http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

PerfectPercy

Well, I had no idea that when I said snap track switches I was saying something different than what I have. :P I run with the Atlas #4s. I have yet to see a problem with them.

jward

the atlas 18" and 22" radius switches are snap switches, designed for train set use.

the #4, #6 and #8 switches are "custom line" and  designed for more advanced modellers.

although atlas has steadily refined the quality over the years, the basic geometry of all their switches has remained the same, and to-day's atlas 6 is a drop in replacement for one with brass rail made in the 1960s.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA