News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Flywheel from Motor

Started by andylvtrains, March 19, 2011, 07:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

Hi:

I need to remove the flywheel from an Atlas HO motor to change the engine mount.  Is there a way to do it wothout damaging the motor?

Thanks

OldTimer

You need a gear puller.  Walthers carries one made by Northwest Short Line called the Puller II that you might want to check out.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/53-554

Hope this helps.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

I have used the NWSL Puller for pulling flywheels, gears and drivers. Very good device.

Rich

andylvtrains

Rich:

I have a similar gear extractor from Micromark.  However there is not enough room between the motorcase and the gear to insert the puller between the two.  How do extract the flywheel then?

Thanks

NarrowMinded

Place a good hose clamp on the flywheel and crank it down then clamp the flywheel in a vise, the pipe clamp protects and holds the flywheel then gently use a pin punch to tap the motor shaft, if it goes easy just tap it all the way out otherwise just tap it until you have clearance for the puller.

NM

richg

Quote from: NarrowMinded on March 19, 2011, 10:37:34 PM
Place a good hose clamp on the flywheel and crank it down then clamp the flywheel in a vise, the pipe clamp protects and holds the flywheel then gently use a pin punch to tap the motor shaft, if it goes easy just tap it all the way out otherwise just tap it until you have clearance for the puller.

NM

I forgot to mention that. Happened to me with one loco. Just be careful so you do not bend the motor shaft.
I use a vise with rubber jaw attachments.

Rich