News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Versions

Started by gunslinger473, June 29, 2007, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunslinger473

Dear Bachmann Trains,
    I have heard a rumor of you making a Large Scale K-27. If its true I'll be looking forward to their release. Any way I've got a few suggestions you might want to think about. If you are producing a K-27 it will most likely resemble the K-27s that still exist today. But what if you produced the differen't versions (or stages) of the K-27s went through during their service on the D&RG. A good example is the "As Delivered" version, this version of the K-27 is how it originaly looked when delivered From Baldwin in 1903. It used the Vauclain Compound cylenders, Big Box Headlight, and a Slope Back Tender. Very few versions of this K-27 have been produced as models. I beleive this version would be very popular because of its rareity, especialy in Large Scale. The 2nd version was more common, Known as the "Slide Valve K-27s" they were the next "stage" of their development. They were attempts to improve the performance of the locomotives. They had a shorted smoke box and slide valve pistons like that of your Large Scale 2-8-0. And the third and final version wich we can see today. If anyone else has any opinions on this topic please share them.

Tim Brien

I feel that you may be disappointed as the model will be the latest incantation as seen running.  The loco is based on engineering drawings which depict the loco in latest running configuration.

Perry Ottoman

Bachmann need to get a return on their investment so the ealier "obscure" types would n't provide that. The most popular sales would be the later types modeled om #463.

BTW the slide rod series (450, 451, 457 &460) retained the long smokebox until scrapping and were never superheated. There is a pic of 460 at Salida in this configuration, it was the last of the series and lasted until 1939.

Matthew (OV)

Personally, I like the "post wreck" 455 ... but I doubt I'll be likely to see that one either.

Some other manufacturers have had some success with the "multiple version" release ... consider "Blackstone Models" matrix of possibilities...

http://www.blackstonemodels.com/products/k27matrix.htm

That way if you like round number plates, and valves outboard of the cylinders, and road pilots like I do ... well, you know what number to ask for!

It'll be interesting to see what Bachmann picks.

Matthew (OV)

Steve Stockham

Ah, but that's what Trackside details, Ozark Miniatures, Accucraft aftermarket parts, etc... are for! ;)