News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum modern 4-4-0

Started by bsurf, June 25, 2007, 11:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsurf

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a new Spectrum modern 4-4-0 with DCC on board. It is a very nice looking little engine and has several user fitted options in the box regards the type of tender (wood, coal or oil) and some different 'cow catchers' for the front pilot. That is the positives.
Now for the negatives I am afraid. Once programmed (I use a NEC DCC system), I had quite a job to get it going for a start, but in the end, with a few pushes here and there it started running. It actually doesn't start until about speed step 12 or 14, but after it's usual Bachmann decoder growl it is off. It runs quite well forwards although it has an unusual sort of whistle/squeeking sound as it goes. Reverse is a different story!! It just jerks along in reverse. The slower the worse the jerking is. Not only does it jerk, but it will skid it's drivers on curves as well (and that is without pushing any rolling stock). Minimum curve on my layout is approx 18". It should handle that without any problems I would think.
So has anyone else had these kind of problems with this loco, or have I just got a 'baddy'.
Do I have to take it apart and fiddle with it to get it running smoothly in reverse? I would have thought it would have run perfecly out of the box!!

Cheers
Bill

rikc9

I have the same engine and it runs fine. I would take it back and get a replacement. Bachmann does offer to replace a defective loco as far as I know. Don't mess with it. The engine and tender details can be easily damaged. I know by experience. Just my thoughts.

rick9

Sunshine Express

Hi,B Surf,advice from RIKC9 very good.I bought an older model some years ago and had the same problem plus a crooked chimney.The dealer was of no help,and my wife said what does the warranty say?. well post it back to theUSA today. Bingo I got a new one in about 3 weeks,a newer version that it had the "ersatz"Kadee couplers on it.  Naturally mine is the DC version.
Owen C Robinson

bsurf

OK then. An update on this Loco. After extensive running in, both forwards and back, the little loco runs quite well. The noise has practically completely disappeared and even the jerking when running in reverse has virtually gone. It will only momentarily hesitate now when running backwards through the tightest piece of track on the layout (about 15" rad.).
I have never had a steam loco that needed sooo much running in before, but as they say, give it time and good things will happen.

Cheers,
Bill

wjstix

Ah!! That's what I was going to post when I read the first comment -  when I get a new engine, I always try to "break it in" by running continuously forward for about 15 min., then the same in reverse, usually at about 2/3-3/4 full throttle.  :)

bsurf

So do I (run new engines in). However this one took a lot more than 15 minutes each way I am afraid. Probably about 30 minutes in each direction on the track before i got feed up and posted the original message here. Further running off the track sitting upside down in a foam cradle for an hour or so while I watched TV seemed to do the final job though. (It actually ran like a little sewing machine in the cradle, very sweet and innocent!!)

Cheers,
Bill

Bojangle

When I first got my Connie, it needed half throttle just to crawl.  I decided to let it run
at full throttle and take a nap.  Later my wife said the loco was flying around the track so she throttled it down.  I don't put any loco on DCC until it is well broken in on DC, at least 4 hours of running. 
Bo