Conversion of EMD FT Diesel using Bachmann 1 amp decoder #44913

Started by tomeiterman, March 22, 2011, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomeiterman

I have searched through the posts and thought that the answer was simple until I read that certain dc locomotives can be more difficult to convert to dcc depending on whether the motor is isolated (not sure exactly what that means) from the chassis (I assume electrically). 

My daughter has an older (just a few years) EMD FT Diesel (Santa Fe - red and silver) that is strictly DC that I would like her to be able to run on my layout.  The instructions have the following number on them H620X-IS001, but no serial number is visible on the actual locomotive.

I happened upon a Bachmann 1 amp decoder with wiring harness (Bachmann item number 44913).  I am not concerned about soldering, having made other projects in the past.

My questions is if the decoder that I have should work, or if I am wasting my time with the locomotive in question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tom E.

richg

What is the brand of loco? Don't know your level of DCC install experience.
The Bachmann decoder is ok if all you want is DCC control. For good low speed action, a better decoder will help a lot.

Measure the motor current at 12 volts DC with the DC amps part of a multimeter if you are going to do DCC installs. Some here might know how much current the loco draws if you tell us the brand.
Some locos have the motor leads connected to each diesel frame half and each frame half pickups up power from wheel pickups. Disconnect the motor leads so nothing touches them.
Then follow the NMRA wiring code. You will probably have to cut off the 8 pin plug and hard wire or figure out a way to install a 8 pin NMRA receptacle so you can plug in the decoder.
All wheel pickup is definitely a requirement. Do a continuity check with the resistance part of the multimeter.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Hunt on March 22, 2011, 09:59:05 PM
Rich,
He has a standard line Bachmann HO EMD FT A Click Here

Certainly looks possible. Have to know how much current the motor draws.
A DZ125 decoder is about the size of a dime but a little thicker and good for 1 amp. TCS also has a small decoder good for 1 amp.
If I see the drawing correctly, there are all wheel pickups on both trucks and single piece frame.
Looks like a 12 volt bulb for the headlight.
My way would be to hard wire the decoder and use some double sided foam tape to stick the decoder to the top of the motor if enough room between the motor and shell roof.

DZ125 decoder size below. Compare to the Bachamnn for size. Bachmann might fit also.
Fitting in a 8 pin receptacle I just don't know.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125.php

DZ125PS same decoder but with 8 pin plug.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125ps.php

Rich

jward

since the ft appears to have been produced simultaneously in both standard and dcc versions, perhaps the parts department would sell you a decoder for a dcc ft? it would probably be pretty easy to install this decoder in your locomotive, as your ft probably has the motor isolated already. it would then be a matter of replacing the circuit board with the ft decoder......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

I asked someone at Bachmann about buying a decoder that was not otherwise available, and they said they do not offer them for separate sale. This was like two years ago.

richg

The below decoder is designed to replace the decoder in the factory DCC on board Bachmann locos This one has very good slow running specs.
You might be able to fit it in your loco but would be a custom fit. There is a link to the manual for this decoder in the below link.

http://www.ncedcc.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13

It would be nice to get some kind of response from you.

Rich

Doneldon

tom-

Use the NCE decoder which richg suggested or an equivalent. You'll much more
satisfactory operation out of it that with a Bachmann decoder, especially at slower
speeds.  Good luck with your project.
                                                                                  -- D