www.carendt.com anybody know what happened to this site ?

Started by NarrowMinded, March 23, 2011, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

Anyone know whats up with this site? I get no images and 404 error messages... ???

NM

NarrowMinded

Oh how very sad... sorry to hear that.  I really enjoyed that site.

NM

CNE Runner

I, also, have been wondering why I cannot access Carl's website. Over the past couple of years Carl and I have been in frequent communication...interupted by my winter in Arizona. This Spring, the plan was to recruit a cadre of 'small layout ambassadors' to spread the word of Carl's work - and the attainable world of micro/small layouts. Without this wonderful man's information, inspiration, and guidance I would not have a working layout today.

It is my fervent wish that someone take up Carl's cause and revive/continue his work. If you have never viewed his website, you have truly missed something. Carl: I am sorry I never sent those pictures to go with my Monks' Island Railway article.

Quite a while ago I received the following from Carl:
"Too many people spend half their time wishing for things they could have...if they didn't spend half their time wishing."
An ardent admirer,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

His website was a great inspiration and where I found the inspiration for my current project.

I have to say, though Ray, you were also responsible for my own introduction to small layouts with your posts about building the Monks Railway (and actually linking to Carl's website)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

J3a-614

Sad to read about this; it seems the good ones leave us too soon.

mabloodhound

three fellow modelers have taken up the chore and got the .us site back up.   they're not sure if they can get the .com up .
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

CNE Runner

Jward - Thank you so much for the new address of Carl's website. I changed it in my 'Favorites' and am once again able to immerse myself in the world of micro/mini/small model railroading. Most of my reference material is kept as web addresses; so you can imagine I was concerned about losing some valuable material. Simply changing the ".com" to ".us" brings all that material back to the fore.

Bestsnowman - Thanks for the kind remarks. My goal is to bring as many 'Armchair Modelers" into the active aspects of the hobby as is possible. Micro/mini/small layouts allow one to have a layout regardless of: space, finances, or skill level. My next task is to build a copy of Las Cajas Avenue (3'x 1') as a operating display at local train shows...'gotta keep beating the bushes for new blood or the hobby will die a slow death.

Manbloodhound - I appreciate hearing about the three modelers who have "taken up the chore'" and are trying to keep Carl's quest alive. They are going to need input from those of us in this genre of the hobby. I guess I'd better 'dust off' that article on the Monks' Island and submit it when they are ready for new material.

J3a-614 - So true...so true.

Regards,
Ray

jward

cne

i know how inspiring ypu've found carl's sire. glad i could help. and glad that there are people out there who care enough to keep the legacy alive.

one of my inspirations has been the late john allen. there is a similar web site devoted to keeping his legacy alive as well.....

http://www.gdlines.com

as for armchair modellers, i've never ubderstood why somebody who loves model trains would ever not have a layout. i have lived in some tiny spaces, my current location is pretty small, but somehow i always found space to build something....
the layouts on carl's site show how a bit of thinking outside the box will let you build in whatever space you have....the true spirit of model railroading lives on.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

My 24" circle layout was inspired by the pizza style section I had planned on submitting it when all was done.  :-[

NM

Terry Toenges

While I didn't know him, I visited his site many times. I'm sorry to hear that.
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

The ever clever (and talented) Jack Trollope has come up with yet another 'twist' on railroading: capstan switching. Check out the latest page on Carl's website; scroll down until you get to "Capstan..." and you will see what I mean. This would add a whole new dimension to small/industrial car movement.
Just a suggestion: I often save some of the images, from Carl's website, as resource materials for scenery or structures. There are always some great ideas to be had with each edition of the Scrapbook.

I spent an hour (or so) yesterday meeting with some R/C aircraft folks regarding the construction of push-pull rods to actuate the Blue Point turnout machines on the upcoming Las Cajas II mini-layout. It is amazing what information can be gleaned from knowledgeable folks in other hobbies.

Ray

NarrowMinded

CNE runner,

I have used the push pull rods in a number of layouts they are great because you can mount your actuators where they are easy to access, I have even used them with knobs added to the end for manual operation, they can also be use with a rotating motion instead of push pull.

for mounting them I just drill a hole in a piece of wood the same size as the outside tube then epoxy it in the block.

NM

jward

ray,

i have 2 blue points on order, along with the drilling template. how have they worked for you? i assume they are like a manually operated tortoise.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA