News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann: Kadee Couplers?

Started by Cheeky_ULP, March 24, 2011, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Dear Bachmann

Is there a recommended type of Kadee Coupler (Prod. Ref) for use on the Thomas and Friends products? I would like to convert my stock, but am unsure what to use.

Sparks.

jward

i have never seen anything about converting them. i often wondered about this myself. i will have to take measurements on some of the freight cars and see. these would appear to be the easiest to convert. and all you'd need to get started would be a knuckle type coupler on one end of one car to get started. you'd use this car in any train where the couplers were mixed types....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

PasqualeCS96

Why exactly do you want to convert couplings?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: jward on April 01, 2011, 12:05:37 PM
i have never seen anything about converting them. i often wondered about this myself. i will have to take measurements on some of the freight cars and see. these would appear to be the easiest to convert. and all you'd need to get started would be a knuckle type coupler on one end of one car to get started. you'd use this car in any train where the couplers were mixed types....
I did some research earlier this week (after no replies.. :P), and found that the Kadee No.5 should come in handy.

Alternatively, there's this interesting article I found: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/mti_article.shtml
This explains how to modify No. 18, 19 and 20 for screws at the shanks.

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on April 01, 2011, 04:22:36 PM
Why exactly do you want to convert couplings?
Kadee couplers provide a more realistic spacing between freight cars, and smoother, less fiddly uncoupling (magnetic).

jward

if you are going to try #5s, you may want to look into the 148s. they are easier to work with that the 5s, and designed to be used everywhere you'd use a 5.

for couplers with overset or underset shanks, look at the ones in the 30 series. you won't have to modify these to accept a screw on coupler box. and i would NOT recommend trying to glue a coupler box to the car floor. couplers are constantly under tension and compression forces, and you'd want your mounting to be as strong as possible.

as for the why? i don't know about others, but i'd like to have my locomotives and cars as standardized as possible. i'd like to be able to have thomas pull a couple of american style cars, or be able to pull my thomas cars with any of my locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA