Blue Point Turnout Controller

Started by CNE Runner, March 28, 2011, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Jward - I hope you found this answer to your post on the Carl Arendt thread. After reading some of my (and others) remarks, I felt we were 'hijacking' the thread and decided to start a new one.

To answer your question, I have had two experiences with the Blue Point turnout controllers to date: on the first go-around I used a lawnmower choke cable to activate the controller with good results; last year I finally got the chance to use the Blue Point cable kit and found it easy to install and use...albeit somewhat expensive.

The only problem I have experienced is controlling a turnout near the front of the layout. The cable has to make a considerable arc...although there are directions that tell how to shorten the cable included with the cable kit. Check out the early track 'plan' for Las Cajas II below:
Notice that most of the turnout controllers would be very close to the front of the layout. I have found that the use of rods and clevis' (available at any R/C store) work the best in this application.

Regards,
Ray

PS: The layout pictured is not my own creation - but taken from Carl's website. I am still in the process of constructing a lightweight train board.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

i have beeen consideering using the levers sold by humpyard perveyance to operate my bluepoints. these are designed to look like the old armstrong levers used in signal towers. as purchased, the humpyard levers build up into a nice bank similar to what a tower operator would have used (albeit at a fraction of the size) but the mechanism to connect to the points leaves alot to be desired. since they appear to use the same sort of sleeved tube as the bluepoints, i am considering trying them to see how the hybrid system works.

http://www.humpyard.com
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Those Hump Yard turnout levers do look nice; but would be too pricey (and delicate) for a demonstration layout. As I mentioned, R/C aircraft control rods and clevis' work extremely well on short throws. One of the regulars, on Carl's website, puts his rods in slightly larger brass tubing to keep the bowing under control. I estimate my longest rod to be under 8" in length so that isn't an issue.

Another great thing about the Blue Point turnout controllers is that they come equipped with a DPDT switch built into the unit. This makes controlling the polarity on Peco Electrofrog turnouts a breeze! [Folks...as an aside: If you are going to run short wheel based locomotives, you need the Electrofrog line of turnouts...they can't be beat.]

The purpose of the Las Cajas II (or whatever name I come up with) is to introduce the public to model railroading that is fairly cheap, small AND has tons of operation. My wife, and I, still vendor some model railroad shows and would like to have a dollar for every person that has told us; "I don't have [insert her: room, money, time] for a model railroad layout." That doesn't have to be true.

Oh, the Broadway Limited Trackmobile (available in DC or DCC...we have DC) is a wonderful motive source for these mini layouts. The only drawback is that BL decided to only have a 'real' working coupler on one end of the Trackmobile. I have tried to chase down some articles, on the Internet, about adding a front coupler; but haven't found anything a klutz like me can manage.

Ray

adari

Ray,
Call FDT they will tell you how to install a front coupler.
That is what i did.
Adam

CNE Runner

Adam, I can't thank you enough for your advice...'never thought to call FDT. I took a 'leaf' from the talented Jack Trollope and made a copy of his Trackmobile 'turntable'. This illustrates yet another use for the versatile Peco Loco Lift. The image is from Carl Arendt's website (I couldn't see taking a picture of essentially the exact same object).
As you can plainly see I really, really need to install that front coupler!

Many thanks,
Ray

adari

Well FDT used to be the only store that sold them and they have a tutorial on there website on how.
Here is one way: http://www.carendt.com/contest/info.html
I think they took off the how to from FDT's website, but I hope that helps.
Adam

CNE Runner

Adari - I have yet to follow Adam's advice and call FDT to see what they say about replacing the BLI Trackmobile's front coupler with an operating unit...'will try to accomplish that today. I did [again] refer to Carl Arendt's website in the hopes that I could 'glean' some additional information...nope.

In lieu of the above, I decided to do some research on the Model Railroader Community pages. Most of the posts I had read some time ago - but what the hey? Basically what I found was: 1) with some gentle 'coaxing' the front coupler's lift bar will 'pop' off and the dummy coupler can then be removed; 2) three Kadee couplers were recommended for the conversion (by posters...not Kadee) and they are the #22 [medium overshank], the #25 [short overshank], and the #29 [long overshank]. As you can readily see I didn't come away from my research with a definite answer. I guess I'll have to purchase one set of each of the aforementioned couplers and see what I end up with. Should I accomplish this (and don't forget before moving on to other projects), I will post my findings on this forum.

The BLI Trackmobile is the perfect answer for moving one or two cars (at a time) on a level layout or scene.

Ray

jward

for those like myself who arem looking for something a little older, there are two viable options. one is the emd model 40, put out by roundhouse a few years ago. this is a rare (11 built) ww2 era "critter." the other is a ge 25 ton endcab, which was fairly common. it looks like half a 44 tonner. i believe those were made by grandt line, and unlike the rtr roundhouse modeel, they are a metal kit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Hi Jward - The Monks' Island Railway already operates a Plymouth WDT (Bachmann), a GE 45 Ton (Bachmann Spectrum), and occasionally a Mantua 0-6-0T. Notice that all these locomotives are short (a good thing on a small shelf layout). The Trackmobile was originally purchased for use on demonstration layouts of very small size (3'x 1'). The addition of an operational front coupler would be nice...but not essential. [I have yet to find the time to call FDT regarding the coupler installation.]

Regarding the GE 25 Ton Box Cab: Grandt Line offers such a locomotive in kit form - although I don't know whether or not it is powered. The latest Walthers sale flyer has one for $43.98. The Roundhouse EMD Model 40 has been unavailable for years and is a rare beast indeed. Recently one sold, at a show we were participating in, for over $100!!! I really like the 'funky' looks of the Model 40...but not that much.

jward

the 25 ton boxcabs were rare. somebody puts out s 25 ton end cab that looks like a 44 ton cut in half. i know keystone model works made a 44ton many years ago, before the bachmann model. the 25 ton is of similar construction.

btw, i do have a soft spot for the bachmann 44 and 70 ton models. my dad was and is a shortline fanatic, and on vacation in north carolina we were able to get cab rides in one of each.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA