News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC/DCC Controllers

Started by meschke1989, March 24, 2011, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meschke1989

I am looking for a controller that will work with both my DC and DCC locomotives.  My layout is small (just a big oval, basically), and I don't see it going much beyond that in the future.  I don't want or need anything too complicated or expensive.  Two controllers that have been suggested to me are the MRC Tech 6 and the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System 44902.

Can anyone give me some advice as to which of these two controllers would suit my needs better?  Is there another controller that would be better for me?

ACY

I do not suggest using a DCC system with DC locomotives. If you have a large fleet of DC locomotives then I would install a toggle switch so you can switch between a DCC and DC power supply. If you only have a few DC locomotives then I suggest installing DCC in all the locomotives that you can. Running DC locomotives with DCC systems could cause the locomotive to overheat or damage the motor especially if you leave the locomotive on the track. Remember with a DCC system, all the track is live even if you have the throttle set at 0, unless your sidings are isolated from the mainlines. Although the E-Z command and a few other systems can theoretically run DC locos, it is not something you want to do frequently, as forgetting them just once for a couple minutes can ruin the locomotive.

Doneldon

meschke-

Some manufacturers have controllers which allow you to access sound and light effects while on DC track. These aren't too expensive -- $35-50 -- but you need a different one for each manufacturer so the controllers' cost can mount up.  It's probably more efficient to run DCC but that seems like overkill if you'll only be running one train at a time.
                                                                                                                                                -- D

Pacific Northern

I have a Zephry and have had no problems running both DCC and DC locomotives.

You will be restricted to only one DC locomotive at a time. Make sure your DC engines that are not in use are on a siding that you can isolate, otherwise as indicated you will likely end up frying the DC engine which is not in use.

I have a number of old locomotives that for sentimental reasons I like to power up on occassion and I have no intention to add DCC to them.

For longer extended operations of mainly DC engines I will disconnect the DCC unit and plug in a DC power pack.
Pacific Northern

jward

i also have a zephyr, and haven't had problems running dc locomotives with it.

there is one clarification i'd like to make. it was stated that you can only run one dc locomotive at a time with the zephyr. this is not strictly the case. in actuality, you can control  more than one dc locomotive, but you can't run them independently of each other. it is similar to running two locomotives on dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

meschke1989

Pacific Northern and jward,

Can you tell me which Zephyr model you have so I can check it out?  Thanks.

ACY

I still think it does not make sense to run a DC locomotive on a DCC system, why not just switch between a DC power supply and DCC power supply with a toggle switch, for either the whole layout or one track depending on the size. I don't think it is too hard to install a toggle switch, that way when you a run a DC engine you can run it without any worries.

Bucksco

Just a friendly reminder - this IS the BACHMANN forum.....

meschke1989

Apologies, Yardmaster!   I am interested in the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System 44902.  Can anyone tell me about this system's features?

richg

Quote from: meschke1989 on March 26, 2011, 08:54:08 AM
Apologies, Yardmaster!   I am interested in the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System 44902.  Can anyone tell me about this system's features?

The EZ Command manual is right here in the Bachmann site. Take a look at it.

Rich

Pacific Northern

I have the Bachmann E-Z Command 44902. For a starter unit it is fine.

Note that this unit will allow you to run a DC locomotive as well as the DCC units.

The limitation on this unit is that other than direction and address capabilities you can not change any CV settings that would allow you to set your own speed capabilities as well as start setting and other CV settings. If you have access to another DCC unit that has these capabilities then it is not as important.

Also note this unit only has a one amp capability, depending upon how many engines you have and if they are sound or not you may have to buy a booster for this unit.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

meschke-

The Bachmann EZ Command is an excellent place to start if you don't plan to get very deep into DCC or to run anything beyond a small layout with only two, three if you're lucky, locos going at a time. It is by far the most economical entry system but you do give up versatility and power for that economy. You can add a booster to run more trains but boosters are very expensive, more than a more versatile and powerful entry level DCC system from other suppliers, or even Bachmann's Dynamis.

Would I go with the EZ Command? For myself, no, because I have larger ambitions than it can support. But, I did purchase an EZ Command system for a layout I built for my young grandson. It's an ideal system for him (10 years old, lots of other things on his mind besides trains, not complicated to master).

You'll see lots of opinions on this board and many of us will try to tell you what to do, me included. But it's your railroad so only you get to decide what you want. We can describe attributes of systems or trains and share our experience with you but don't let any of us push you into doing something you don't really want to do.
                                                                                                                          -- D

hotrainlover

My Bachmann Ez-command has NEVER given me any problems.  I have 34 engines (DC and DCC) that I keep on spur tracks, (track powered off) when not in use.  I do not have a need for changing CV's.  I have used this system for 5 years now.  My layout originally was cab control, which made the switch to DCC simple.  I do have issues when I run more than 4 sound equipped units, but I know this is a power issue.  I have been part of a train club, and it always seemed that they had constant issues with the bigger systems.  I am not saying that the bigger systems are bad, just that it really is NOT needed to run trains efficiently.  I will one day buy the booster Bachmann offers, so I can triple head some of my sound equipped steamers.
I also have visitors over, and they can just run trains, after a few seconds.  It was a bigger learning curve for me to use the Zephyr system, at the club.

My layout is a 14' x   22' "L" shaped, double wishbone, with a harbor scene.

jward

with respect to yardmaster i cannot comment on my zephyr on this board. if you'd like to hear my experiences, please email me......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WTierce1

IF you have a large fleet of DC locos, I would not suggest any type of DCC controller unless you are going to put DCC in them. It does not matter what brand DCC controller, Digitrax (Zephyr) or Bachmann (E-Z command), you always have the chance of all DC locomotives to overheat on DCC. As a matter of fact, running a DC loco on DCC gives a chance of damaging the motor in it because DCC controlers put AC current to the track instead of DC.  If you could tell us how many DC locos you have and how many DCC locos you have then maybe we could make a better Suggestion. 
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad