News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reversing trolley questions

Started by jprince46, June 26, 2007, 09:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jprince46

I have a couple of questions about the reversing trolley set - can't seem to find the information I am looking for. :o

It appears that the time delay and reversing is built into the trolley itself and is not a function of the power pack or bumpers.  We think that when the trolley "hits" a bumper - the direction change is a mechanical vs. electronic change. Is this true.

If the above is true, can additional bumpers be purchased.

Also, can standard flex track be used?  We have a couple of tight spots that require 8" radius.

Also the power pack powers the trolley like a standard power pack - nothing fancy. We plan on using it, just want to make sure there is nothing special here. ???

morrisf

The reversing device is an electronic circuit. The rail is gapped at each end. When the trolley car shorts out the gap in the rail, the circuit stops the car, waits a few seconds, then reverses its direction. The trolley car runs to the opposite end and the same thing happens.

The track that comes with the set has special wiring that extends to each isolated rail section at the ends of the run. To use alternate track, you'll have to devise a way to extend that wiring. The method is up to you.

I've used the circuitry on my home layout with different track by removing all the circuitry that comes with the set and hooking it up to my own track in the same way in which the set in laid out.

jprince46

thanks for the information.

You answered a lot of questions.

It sounds like the bumper is just a shorting device, and the when the trolley closes the gap, a short triggers the circuitry.

Any other gotchas in need to worry about?

thanks
Jim

Guilford Guy

shorts out or does it create a connection between the two sections of rail similar to how lionel crossing gates are wired to the track...
Alex

morrisf

The bumper does nothing but keep the trolley from falling off the end of the track. It plays no part in the operation; in fact, the trolley never hits the bumper, because it stops short of it, then reverses.

One rail is cut at each end of the track. When the wheels cross the gap, the wheels short out the two sections of rail which trips the circuit. It is the circuit that reverses the polarity of the track so that the trolley goes back the other way.

Guilford Guy

Might've been a little  clearer if you said completed the circuit but who says
I'm bright...
Alex

jprince46

Thanks all - got it - much appreciated.

BIG BEAR

Do you by chance, have an older Dept. 56 Trolley made by Bachmann?
These were made in the mid to late 90's, and do have a bumper activated  reversing switch. The bumper looks somewhat different than todays trolleys.

Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

jprince46

Barry,

thanks for the tip - We do not have any trolleys right now - but I will look for one of these.  This would solve a bunch of problems.

thanks
Jim

jettrainfan

Say can anyone help me out? ??? i got this set where its the holiday trolley and don't know whats wrong with it... it will run then first stop at the shed...7-9 seconds later it has no power! i turned it around and again it goes the same direction and stops at the shed and dies! I have no clue and i did put it on the right way... any suggestions because Neo Fender is having a problem where it stops on a "bad spot" where ever he puts it. Help???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account