News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track turnouts and switches

Started by Rangerover, June 26, 2007, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover

Hi y'all I'm new to the forum but on occasion have come by and snooped. I am a member of the other forum but they don't particularly like Bachmann products. I on the other hand have had very little, next to nothing, problems with any Bachmann purchase including the Easy Digital Command System along with the 5 amp booster, no frills, which I like. I live in West Virginia. I have purchased several DCC equipped loco's and EZ track and switches in the past 3 years and am in the process of building my pike. I am retired (1 year) and have been working on my layout since. I built a
subway beneath my layout out of all Bachmann products including the EZ track and switch's and wyes. The top, however is a mixture of every other maker of track and switches. Some laid track, most flex track, some brass, but most n/s most code 100 but have some code 83 and some code 83 turnouts. Some of this stuff is 40 years old, but after cleaning it up and using polish on the tracks all is fine. This is my 4th and last layout, so I do have some experience. I have so far broken every rule of Model Railroading, and I love it. I would probably be arrested by the Model Railroad Police and put away for a long time if I fessed up, so I won't incriminate myself any further.
My question is this. I read somewhere yesterday, on this forum, about problems with Bachmann EZ track switches and turnouts (crossovers) burning out and failures. I was wondering if anyone has been operating these with sucess for a period of time. I don't run my switches off DC, I only use the ACC side of cheap, but still working transformer's. I have been running the subway since January every day and have had to replace one crossover due to the piece of track that moves, it broke at the rivet. But before I close this up with the walls and platforms and stairs and plexiglas in the front I want to be sure I won't have to tear it apart 6 months from now. My layout is easy to work on from underneath, It is 4 feet to the top of the frame, experience taught me to build it high, (chuckle). Any comments about those that use or have used EZ track Switches and crossovers or wyes would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to fill in the gaps. Jim Bresett

Bojangle

Hi Jim
Glad to see another retiree on this  forum.  I am 68,  hobby was R/C planes for about 50 years, recently switched to railroads.

As for "rules", there are no rules, it is your railroad, run it anyway you want.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

I have a rather small layout, presently Bachmann EZ track.  I have had a lot of problems with their standard turnout with derails and roughness.  I have not tried their #5 yet.  As I expand my layout, I am changing the turnouts to Atlas Code 100 which matches EZ.  I have tried everything to solve the problems on the EZ switches to no avail.   Also, I prefer manual turnouts with ground throws, much simpler. 

That's about all I can tell you here.   If you need more specifics,   I would enjoy sharing ideas and pictures by email.

Bo   (Some have inquired  about my unusual nickname.  We operated a cattle ranch for 20 years,  the ranch name is "Bojangle".   The "Bo" stands for Bob, the "Ja" for my wife Jacque.  It was also the name of our first registered herd bull, a magnificent animal.    "And now  you know the rest of the story" lol.

Henry Green

I have only recently become a bit more "serious" about the hobby, and my layout is largely all EZ Track except for an elevated section.

I just purchased a set of #5 turn-outs that are driving me crazy -- you cannot connect track to the end of the turn-out (apparently) without chipping off a piece of the connecting track, because the spacing is too tight. If someone has a brilliant solution to this problem (or if not, a foolproof method of chipping off the requisite piece -- I've used my Xuron clippers and it did the shop, but not particularly cleanly), I'd very much appreciate it.

ripvanwnkl

Reply to Henry: 

The 2 1/4" straight EZ track pieces are manufactured with snap-off grooves in the undersides of the ballast specifically for tight fitting turnouts and crossings.  No cutting needed, just a supply of these pieces.   The #5 and #6 turnouts tend to be temperamental but can be improved with some fine tuning. 

Good luck,

Dave 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

eds railroad

I'm having all kinds of troble with my crossovers but as far as my long turnouts i used a file to shape the track works great joe

Bojangle

Jim:
I made some noticeable improvements on my EZ turnouts, but only after they were replaced.  I set up a small  experimental oval and began filing and shimming until they work pretty good now.  I have placed some of them back in service, but I removed all the solenoids and springs, converted to manual with a stronger spring for my close reach areas. 

The throw spring and mechanism was too "soft" for my likes,   did not have a positive "lock".   I tried making several stronger springs, but then the solenoids didn't always cycle well. 

Bo

Rangerover

Hey Bo, I guess I just got lucky and only had one bad failure. I still run my sub's through with no problem. I did have to do some filing on the points when I first installed, but experience taught me to check it out before installing. I can't put manual throws on because they're under the bench out of operating reach. Unless I install some kind of cable to operate manually. If they fail I'll put in Peco or Atlas. I had to dig out an old, very old Lionel transformer from probably from 1917-1930, it looks like a telegraph key, to power up the Peco's. This thing puts out 20 volts AC. Those suckers snap now when you hit the buttons. I'm selling stuff on eBay, cleaning out my train room from old stuff, Lionel, got $700.00 this week for old stuff, now I can buy new stuff to replace the old stuff. Anybody seen George Carlin on here! Hey gotta send you some pics of my bowl of snakes. I just got tools and stuff laying on it any place I can find. But I'm having fun.  I run 4, 15-20 cars on top and 2 subs on the bottom, all at once. Dang it does look like a bowl of snakes.
I'll keep in touch. Jim